C710 CHROME *browser* vs CHROME OS on this chromebook

philzaleskin
philzaleskin Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.    

A little background first ... I have 3 various manufacturer laptops running Win7 and running the Chrome browser.   The browser level on each is Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) and Chrome browser reports that as current.  On the browser window, to the immediate left of the minimze action, there is a tab with a user name (Phil) that I believe is the currently logged on (to the browser mostly for synchronization purposes.  This seems to work in so far as when I go to a different computer, the open tabs and windows are synched across multiple systems.

I cannot however find a way to make this work on the Acer C710 Chromebook, on which the browser reports itself as being Version 49.0.2623.112 (64 bit), on "platform" 7834.70.0 (Official Build) stable-channer parrot and Firmware Google_Parrot-2685.54.0  ---  Running the "check for and apply updates" I am told "Your device is up to date",  and the more info link also reports "Currently on stable channel", among levels of various functions.

I *do* realize that on the Chromebook, the OS and the browser are, depending on you want to put it, very tightly knit with each other and the browser is, for all practical purposes, the OS as well.

I also have NO recollection as to how I managed to get that username tab into the Chrome browser on the Windows 7 systems, but that's really not important at the moment as I have no plans to add another specifc user to the browser and even if I did, this wouldn't be the right place to talk about for that OS.

So, to get to the point.   How do I setup a userid tab, or whatever it's actually called, on the Chrome browser on the Chromebook computer when the Chrome browser is reporting itself to be up to date?   Or, is there's another synch function either available some other way, or built into the browser on both the Windows 7 systems as well as the Chrome OS / Chrome browser on the Acer C710 Chromebook

Last acknowledgement ... the C710 Chromebook is, I imagine is pretty old, and just may not be capable of doing any of what I'd really like it to do.

Apologies for the length of the post ... and thanks to anyone who can respond with suggestions for help.

Phil

Answers

• Cuvtixo2
    Cuvtixo2 Member Posts: 1 New User

To be clear, you can go to the lower right corner of the Chromebook screen. THAT's your "userID tab". You already know when you click on it, then click the gear wheel (Settings) (I'm sure there's a shortcut to get to Settings) You can click on the three bars at the top left, then click on "About Chrome OS", and check updates. Mine's now 60.0.3112.41 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) 9592.29.0 (Official Build) beta-channel parrot Firmware Google_Parrot.2685.37.0  Goto "Detailed build inforrmation" then you can change the setting to Stable, Beta or Developer-unstable.  I'm not sure why I would be so way far out front, even on a Beta channel, even a month later than your post. Anyways, I'm not really clear why you think this is radically different for the OS as opposed to the browser. In Win 7 you can log in and out of the browser with different accounts while staying on a single Windows account, so it's a little different-- but otherwise, the only difference is that on Chrome you log onto your account and browser simultaneously, while on Win it's two separate steps. All the settings and bokmarks and history from you're Win browsing should be available on you're Chromebook. You're "userID tab" is in the bottom right hand corner. It's not attached to the browser in the same way, it's stuck on the bottom of the screen, but it's the same thing. The c710 can certainly be brought up-to-date. Note the c710 can be upgraded to 16GB ram memory, it's not limited to 4GB as the "manual" and Acer literature suggests. I find it really weird for you to suggest it may be too old, when you're using Windows 7. A few months back I updated my Windows 10 to the "Anniversary edition".  In contrast, you're still on Win 7, on three different laptops, having ignored Win 8.0, 8.1 and 10 upgrades, and you think the Chromebook is "pretty old?????" I can only think the Acer Community software has made a mistake, and your post is much older than a month. That's certainly possible. But if you mainly email, browse the web, do text processing and YouTube, even in 2017, nothing about the Chromebooks is out-of-date.