Aspire V Nitro stutter and fps drop problems

Options
HeyItsMe
HeyItsMe Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

When gaming (most notably Overwatch and Paragon, but also in other less demanding games) I occasionally get major fps drops, dropping from around 50 to 20 (in Overwatch), and the games start stuttering for a few seconds. Now this is never longer than let's say 10 seconds, but in competitive games such as those it can be quite a problem.

In Overwatch I've noticed these happen more on certain maps or at certain locations, but not all the time. I may walk through a certain area and suddenly experience the problems, but every time I pass through it after that time it doesn't happen anymore.

I usually just have to wait a few seconds and then things are back to normal, which is why it doesn't seem to me that it's a problem of my laptop not being able to handle the games.

This has been going on for sooo long and I've tried several things (and yes I've also tried lowering graphic settings, checked if I'm using my Nvidia driver, shutting off all services except Microsoft ones in MSConfig, etc.) but none seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas? It woud be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Arok808
    Arok808 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

So a few things, not sure if this will help at all...

-What model Aspire V Nitro do you have?

-You are plugged in yeah? and the laptop was plugged in since it was turned on(some laptops drop to throttled settings if not plugged when turned on and wont revert to normal clocks if plugged in afterwards unless you restart windows).

-If your laptop uses optimus have you set it to always prefer the dedicated gpu in the Nvida control panel?

-Have you ever used a program like GPU-Z to look for throttling issues?  GPU-Z is cool because under its Sensors tab it can report why its getting hit under the PerfCap Reason section.

-If it is not throttling frame drops could be due to a host of other issues, particularly if you are running off a mechanical disk and not and ssd, Or if there is major conjestion in you wifi network.  If any disk intense background process decides its time to do something, like anti-virus or a steaming music app, there could be trouble if you have a mechanical disk and not a ton of ram.  The Acer I bought has quite a slow HDD, i could see this causing issues if several things tried to get busy while you are playing Overwatch.  

I dont know what else to say without more specifics of your hardware but I hope there might be something in what was listed that is of some help.

Cheers,

A.

• HeyItsMe
    Options

- V17

- Yes, I'm pretty much all the time plugged in. Especially when gaming.

- It does use the Nvidia Geforce GTX card with games.

- No, I'll do that. Hopefully it will make this situation more clear.

- Well I've recently installed Overwatch on my SSD and still have the same problems, and the network isn't the problem as I play over 2 seperate networks throughout the week. I also have 12 gig of RAM if I'm not mistaken, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You mentioned that more information on the specifics of my hardware would be useful, but would a DxDiag or MSInfo also be useful? (Don't really know much about those things, only that they contain info about my hard- and software)

Thank you for your help!

• HeyItsMe
    Options

Ok so I used GPU-Z and when play Paragon and experiencing stutters I noticed the PerfCap code thrm (iirc), so it seems like my laptop's temperature was too high at that time.

The stutters are only there for a few seconds however, and reoccur some time after. If my GPU's performance were limited because of the temperature, wouldn't I be experiencing stutters all the time?

• ATragicEnding
    ATragicEnding Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I had similar problem when running from my 5,400RPM HDD (The one that came with the laptop). You might wanna grab a cooling pad as this laptop tends to get very hot after a while so any help you can bring is welcome.

• adriyanz900
    adriyanz900 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello,

Even i have the same problem. I have Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro, GTX 850M Nvidea VGA.

once i launch the game fps is high for 5 - 10 mins. after that it will drop to 10.

Please help... what is the reason for this. I already downloaded GPU-Z application01.jpg