Acer TravelMate P645-S free slot for SSD?

Hanzar
Hanzar Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi guys,

I have an Acer TravelMate P645-S-54WD with an HDD drive (core i5 5200). I have noticed that in this series there are laptops with two drives, one SSD and one HDD. I am wondering whether I can add a SSD to my laptop, esp. a M.2 one. I searched for it, some reviews say an M.2 SSd is installed on some models (P645-S-58HK), and some have both SSD and HDD (Travelmate P645-SG-709F, i7 5500U, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD), which could mean I may have the possibility of adding a full size M.2 to it. Can anyone help me with this?

Can you suggest me certain SSD models?

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

You're welcome. This slot only supports SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s) so you'll have to install a Samsung 850 EVO.

France

Answers

• laurent_14

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the motherboard serial number (S/N)?

You'll find it like this:

Spoiler
      1. Download HWiNFO portable version (no installation)
      2. Launch HWiNFO
      3. Expand Motherboard
      4. Expand SMBIOS DMI
      5. Click on Mainboard
      6. Post the first ten characters of Mainboard Serial Number located in the left column. Only the first ten.
        It should start with NBVAF11002...
    France
  • Hanzar

Sure! It is: NXVATEG018

Thanks in advance!

• laurent_14

NXVATEG018 is the model part number and not the motherboard part number. Please read my previous reply again.

France
  • Hanzar

You're right. I had no access to the laptop and did not expand the spoiler in your first comment.

That's it, the mother board S/N: NBVAF11002 

Many Thanks again. 

• Hanzar

I did what you told me. However the first ten characters are exactaly similar as what you have guessed: NBVAF11002

Any clue? 

• laurent_14

Hello,

Yes there is a free M.2 socket (red arrow). It supports a SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0:

Image_2.png

France
  • Hanzar

Thanks a lot for your inquiry and information. 

I have also contacted Acer Support. It is however strange for me they insist on not usibg a M.2 SSD but mSATA-SSD.

Here is their answer: 

You can add every mSata-SSD you want to your TravelMate P645-S-54WD.

Please be sure to use a mSATA-SSD, M.2 SSD´s will not be supportet.

Now I am totally confused!
  • laurent_14

Hello,

They should double check their information because this picture from the official document shows a M.2 SSD:

Image_1.png

The string of characters located under the barcode is KN06007002... so KN.06007.002

This part number corresponds to:

KN.06007.002FLASH DISK.SSD.NAND.60GB.M2.2280.B&M-KEY (Kingston)

PS: If you want, you can send us my reply. No problems.

France
  • Hanzar

Thanks a lot. Well, it seems to me that you are right. I opened the back of the laptop and found a free M.2 slot there. But I forgot to check exactly what kind of M.2 I can use. Can I use a Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW (M.2/M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4), Form factor: M.2 2280) ? 
    OR I should buy a Samsung MZ-N5E250BW 850 EVO (SATA III, 6GB/s, M.2) ?

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello,

You're welcome. This slot only supports SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s) so you'll have to install a Samsung 850 EVO.

France
  • CrzyNwB
    CrzyNwB Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, Hope the original poster was able to find the correct SSD type for the acer travelmate. I am also in similar situation, where i have to upgrade a dead HDD on a Acer travelmate p645-s-52xa. It would be great if some one can guide me which SSD type would work. I need to replace my current HDD with an SSD. wanted to know:

1) Which type of SSD, is recommended...a normal SSD, a mSATA SSD, or the m.2 variety under discussion ?

2) Can i have both a m.2 (or mSATA SSD) and a SSHD (HDD with a 8GB SSD that comes with it) in the system.

3) i read on another thread that an mSATA (SSD) would need an adapter, is this true ? 

Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

• Hanzar

Hi,

I followed laurent_14's suggestion and used a M.2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD. You can substitute your dead HDD with a normal 2.5 inch SSD, which is way faster than a SSHD and has a better price-performance.

I did not try M.2 Samsung 960 EVO, it is 6 times faster the EVO 850, but since laurent-14 told me that the motherboard does not support it, I did not check. Let me know, if you tried that. 

Best

• CrzyNwB
    Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. Okay good so an m.2 Samsung evo 850 works. I was actually thinking of either putting a 256/500 GB SSD (normal) from samsung or similar which ever better deal i get. I read on a thread somebody using a 120 or 256 GB SSD as primary for windows and a few programs that they used regularly, and keeping a SSHD as a secondary for videos, movies, games etc....so i was curious about that option as well. I don't know if the travelmate can handle both a normal SSD and a SSHD together (or there is no place for both in laptop ?) and also if it would be a big drain on the battery having both? If there is no space for both then i guess this setup will only work with a m.2 SSD.
  • CrzyNwB

Hi, 

Thanks for the info last time. I figured since you have the same type of Travelmate maybe you can help me with this small problem (USB 3.0 ports not working properly). I have also posted this as a seperate post: 

Hi, I changed the SSHD on my Travelmate P645-S and installed win 10 64 bit on my SSD. I searched the acer website for the drivers and i was able to install most drivers. On the website, i found multiple options for the same driver type, for example: there were different VGA drivers (one Intel and the other Nvidia). As i have a Intel in built graphic card so i figured must use only Intel. But it was not evident for all drivers, for example for Bluetooth & Wireless. 

Although at the moment everything seems to be working properly, apart from my USB 3.0. I have 3 USB 3.0 ports...and i didnt find any drivers for Win 10 on acer website for them. I used the Windows update to take care of it, and their seems to be a generic USB driver installed by windows.

Unfortunately the problem is that the USB 3.0 is actually working at USB 2.0 Speed. I tried 2 different fast USB 3.0 flash USB drives, but checking Crystal Disk Mark 5 tests (and also transferring files) shows files transferring at only USB 2.0 speeds. So please kindly let me know how do i fix this ? 

also ps: my keyboard buttons for increasing / decreasing the screen brightness seem to be switched. How do i correct this in windows ?

Any info / suggestion / link would be welcome. Kind regards. 

• Hanzar

Hi,

I am not sure whether I am not facing the same problem either. In fact, I never checked the USB speed. But, I had to install the windows on SSD anew, since using the faster boot and operation speed of SSD was the reason why I bought the SSD. Since installing windows was not possible via USB 3, I used a SD-ram as installation media, and it worked well, not easy, but well. 
    How should I know whether my USBs are working at a USB3 speed, or at a USB 2 speed, at all? Let me know please, I am very curios now. 

Best,

• CrzyNwB
    Hi, I had installed windows with a bootable Windows on a USB stick. Just changed the SSHD with a SSD and then booted the computer with a Win 10 Bootable USB stick. Then after installation and updating windows, i went to the Acer website for drivers. (as mentioned in my prev post). I got most drivers, although there was no USB 3.0 driver listed under windows 10. i did see a USB 3.0 driver listed if I choose windows 7 64 bit as my OS. ( Just FYI: If ur USB port has a blue colour plastic bar in the port then its a USB 3.0 Port. USB 2.0 ports all have black bars). I connected 2 different USB 3.0 sticks, and used the software Crystal Mark (or similar name) to test the speed of connection.
  • Muthumani
    Muthumani Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

hi..my motherboard serial number is NBVAF11001.. does ir support M2? if it support which model can i buy..please help
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    @Muthumani you are replaying to a thread that is several years old, you also don't tell us what model of laptop you have. We can't find anything from juts a motherboard number, since there isn't a cross reference between motherboards and models. Open a new thread (use the Ask a Question button) and tell us your model number (something like the P645-S-xxxx this thread was for) and we can look it up for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.