Predator 17 laptop keeps freezing up and I keep getting an error message when I shut down

Bex0411
Bex0411 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought my Predator 17 laptop (Acer 173 Laptop Intel Core i7 32GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 1TB Hard Drive 512GB Solid State Drive Black) online from Best buy 11/11/2016. It will randomly freeze up when I am working in Photoshop or occasionally when I'm just looking at something on the internet. I have to force shut it down in order to get it working again.

I also keep getting some kind of error message when I shut down occasionally (not every time but probably about 60% of the time), however it just flashes on the screen too fast to even read it.

I wasn't sure if these issues are covered under warranty, they pretty much started from when I initially got the laptop but then stopped for awhile right before I was going to return it and then just recently started up again. I also wasn't sure how exactly to contact Acer regarding these issues, I've typically had Dells before where its always been easy to contact them for help sorting things out but I had read good reviews on the Acer predator and thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks for your help,

Rebecca

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

The problems you mention are somewhat broad and could be caused by a number of things.  You might start with some easier things to see if it fixes the problems.  You can first make sure all your drivers are up to date...also you might try uninstalling programs one at a time to see if one of them is causing you problems.  If you suspect a particular program to be an issue I would uninstall it then stress test the system a little.  Try running Heaven Benchmark in a loop to see if the system is locking up/freezing still. 

Some other things to check..Make sure your cooling fins are clean and fans arent clogged with dust...use predator sense to check temps and make sure the problem isn't heat related. 

You may need to do a clean install using recovery media to get things working correctly if troubleshooting doesn't get to the bottom of it.

I don't think the issues you are having are really warranty type issues...sound more like windows issues...butt if ittt turns out to be hardware issue I think you should still be covered under warranty...one of the resident support experts here can probably give advice on warranty and also how to proceed for service and tech support.