Aspire 5742Z BIOS Dowgrade

Bohe
Bohe Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Good afternoon everybody,

Hoping you all are fine, this is my issue. I attempted to do a BIOS upgrade for this computer into the most recent version "2.30" and silly me, forgot to make a backup before doing it. Now that the new BIOS version is giving me issues I don't recall which version I had previously installed (If 2.14 or 2.24).

The other problem is that I'm being unable to make a downgrade to "2.24" with the Crisis Disk, even after waiting 2 hours the computer doesn't reset from the Recovery Boot Block.

Any advice is more than welcome, please also let me know what information I'm missing to help y'all help me

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Try changing the filename PEW71124.FD to PEW71x64.FD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

What files are in the root directory of the crisis media? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Bohe

Good afternoon JackE,

The 3 files on the USB after prep are: "MINIDOS.SYS", "PEW71124.fd" and "PHLASH16.EXE"

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Try changing the filename PEW71124.FD to PEW71x64.FD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bohe

That was a genius move! The BIOS did downgrade, no I'm sure that the needed BIOS wasn't 2.24 (The one I downgraded to...). Because I still get the blue screen, so... My guess is it's 1.14 but I don't know where to find it!

Would you happen to know that also?

Thank you so much in advance

• JackE

Please refer to this link for the 5742z BIOS firmware. Enter 5742z in the search box.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

The BIOS firmware binaries should be located in the unzipped DOS subdirectory with ROM, BIN, WPH and/or FD extensions. Rename the binary as previously PEW71x64.FD. You may have to try more than one if you find multiple binaries in the DOS folder.

Please also note that whatever 2.xx versions you apparently tried, are NOT listed for the 5742z.

Good luck

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Bohe

JackE,

Thank you so much for your help! I learned something new through the process, in the end I was just being dumb cause the only 1 thing that I didn't do was to change the booting options through the BIOS (This was what was causing the blue screen). I've accepted the solution to the original question in case someone else is just having that one problem.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

• JackE

Congrats on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dafish
    dafish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey I have a Acer Aspire M3800 and I updated the bios to P01.A2 and now I have blue screen...how do.i downgrade from that to what it was previously???
  • JackE
    Dafish---What problem did the machine have before you updated the firmware? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ