Switch 5 Keyboard

billybob300c
billybob300c Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I was wondering if there's a non-backlit keyboard option for the Switch 5.

The deal-breaker for me to get the new Switch 5 is whether or not the device has a non-backlit keyboard, the ability to turn down the brightness, or to permanently turn off the backlight altogether, as I find the keyboard lights to be annoying when it automatically turns on the moment I touch it after 30 seconds of being idle (and every time I reattach the keyboard onto the tablet, the keyboard lights up, which drivers me insane).

Also, I noticed on the Switch 3 that the keyboard didn't have lights. Is the Switch 3 keyboard compatible with the Switch 5? Or is the Switch Alpha 12 non-backlit keyboard compatible with the new Switch 5? Thanks.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer

Hello,

1. What model do you own exactly?
    2. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • billybob300c

Tinkerer

1.  Switch Alpha 12 (i7, 8gb, 256gb)

2.  SN: NTLCDAA014

• laurent_14

I was wondering if there's a non-backlit keyboard option for the Switch 5.

So I'm talking about Switch 5. I would need more information to help you. E.g. the model name: SW5-173

France
  • billybob300c

Tinkerer

I don't own a Switch 5 yet since it only got announced like 2 days ago, but I saw people posting videos online explaining the specs.  I just wanted to find out if the upcoming Switch 5 has a non-backlit keyboard, or a way to turn it off for good.

• laurent_14

Oups these are the latest models. We only have this official topic for the moment:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2017/255352

France
  • billybob300c

Tinkerer

Alright, I came back here by accident about 4 months since the first post (April 2017 to August 2017), so if anyone's having this issue, I figured out a solution.  I tested a nonbacklit keyboard from the Switch 3 and a backlit keyboard from the Switch Alpha 12 and I can say, with some confidence, that all the Switch keyboards (nonbacklit/backlit) are compatible with the Switch 5.  Hope that helps.

• danieltan23
    danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    i wonder if there's a way to leave backlight off by default and not having to turn it on every time i open the switch 5?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Fn+F9 is supposed to control the backlight.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.