Got an Acer Predator G3 from Costco that has had a lot of problems (2nd purchase)

Nova
Nova Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Specs: i7-7700 , 32 gb Ram, gtx 1070 8gb, 1 tb hdd, 256 gb sdd

Issue: First time I got the desktop it stopped working after roughly 5 days. It would show the error "reboot and select proper boot device". I returned it and thought my bad luck just got me a faulty one. I get the same computer again, and after booting up Arma 3 I noticed I could almost smell burning plastic (maybe?). I cancel all my programs and wait for it to cool down. I installed NZXT Cam to monitor my temperatures. My CPU reached a peak of 95 celsius while playing CSGO, at barely 30% usage for the CPU. I loaded up Arma 3 again, and my GPU reached 85 celsius. I can hear the fans working so I'm not sure what the problem is. Fast forward to today, I turn on the computer and get the same error again "reboot and select proper boot device"). I have no USBs lying around so I wont be able to boot it up. I don't think I will give this computer a 3rd chance (I'm sure you understand, after all if I spend over $1300 on a PC i expect it to work for at least a year or 2.) And the worst part about all this is that all my passwords are saved on the hard drive, and I do hope you guys reset the computer back to default before reselling again (still going to change all my passwords as a precaution), 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if your G3 is the 710 version and  has a R2.xx BIOS version you need to download and install the latest BIOS.

the main issue is...you need an USB flash drive to do it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dakota_96
    dakota_96 Member Posts: 2 New User

Wow. I also experienced an issue with the very same PC. I hooked up an Oculus Rift and played an hour or so one evening. The next day I was playing and it just shut down and won't power back on. I tested the PSU and it was OK. It's the GPU that's the issue. I returned mined to Costco. Thank heavens for their liberal return policy.

• jaclou
    jaclou Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Hello!

HAhaHAhaaaaa.....

I HAD these same problems with my AG3-605 years ago...

I have yet my own build, and it gives me problems too, but at least I have not to rma it each time! That's the plus!

Good Luck!