G9 593: Is it possible to add 2X16GiB memory working with the original 2X8 memory? .

Options
QiuHaiqing
QiuHaiqing Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Acer G9 593

I found there are 2X8GiB memory installed, from windows system info.

Is that possible to add 2X16GiB memory work with the original 2X8 to build a 48GiB memory system?

thanks.

Answers

• QiuHaiqing
    Options

thanks for your kindly reply.
    I saw another thread, mentioned the memory slot of g9 593,
    http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Acer-G9-593/m-p/492057#U492057

someone said, "The 2 other slots are on the other side of the motherboard." I have not open my device to check, before I start to upgrade, I want to know, is it easy to acces the other side of the MB?

thanks.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,135 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I could see only 2 slots through the service hatch, the other slots must be on the other side and you might have to open it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCA92WH9RR8

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

It is ok to do this and you will end up with 48 gb of RAM.  What you want to make sure of is that the memory you use has the same timings (or better) as the memory speed will run at the lowest common denominator. 

The timings you are looking for are ddr 4 @ 2400mhz cl18...Kingston is the brand they use  (I wish they were using something with lower latency). 

For the time being I am using 2 8 gb modules in addition to the original 8 gb modules for a total of 32gb.  I put in Crucial with 16 cl 2400 ddr4. 

Also yes the 2 original modules are installed under the motherboard. 

I have stress tested my system with full load running multiple graphics demos and programs simutaneously and this G9 I have is completely 100% stable.

Good Luck.

• AVJim
    Options

By the way I use CPUID CPU-Z to identify detailed timings from each memory module.  Grab that and it will tell you the details on the ram you have and therefore make it easier to match the RAM timings.  (You never know mine may be different than yours).

Good luck!

• AVJim
    Options

As long as you get matching set of RAM both sets will run in dual channel.  I believe the original RAM is designated slots 1 and 3 and the accessible slots are 2 and 4. 

• QiuHaiqing
    Options
    thanks AVJim.
    Is that to say, just need to open the service lid and I can install the 2 new memory chips?

And what about to change the original 2x8 to 2x16 as well? Should I open the whole cover to replace them?

What did U do with the warranty sticker when you open the service lid? Just destory it and give up warranty?
  • AVJim
    Options

Yes you can just open the service lid and install the additional RAM.  You could replace all the memory with new RAM but to change the 2 8gb modules it comes with I believe means taking out the motherboard completely.  I haven't done that myself but maybe someone that has can shed some light on the procedure.  That said you don't have to change it all out, just get a dual channel set of compatibly timed ram for the easily accessible slots and you should be good.

There is no warranty sticker on my unit and as far as I know none of the Predators have a void warranty sticker(especially for the service door).  Another reason to buy an Acer over an MSI.

Make sure to use the CPUID CPU-Z to get the proper timing specs for your new RAM modules. 

If you do decide to change the two hidden sticks of RAM well then you can get the fastest ram timings the machine is stable with.

Hope that all makes sense.

• QiuHaiqing
    Options

thank you very much.

Maybe it is Acer's different warranty policy for different country.

I live in Singapore, and there is a sticker, so sad I have to make a choice between warranty and upgrade.

thanks a lot

You_Doodle_2017-04-28T00_31_02Z.jpg

• AVJim
    Options

Oh my that really blows me away!  Sorry to see that my friend.  Had no idea this was a country by country policy.