Acer Aspire V3-772G sound stutter and latency issues

Olowokandi
Olowokandi Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire V3 laptop, WIndows 8.1 64bit, SSD drive with Windows on it, and HDD drive for everything else. I have recently tried to play the game Elite Dangerous (installed on the HDD drive) and experienced horrible sound stuttering when multiple sound effects are present. The sound stuttering and clicking comes with frame drops too. It happens in other games too but to a lesser extent, always when there is a lot of sound effects going off.

I have then upgraded my Nvidia GTX 850m drivers to the latest version (381.65), and I have downloaded the latest Realtek sound drivers from their website (version 6.3.9600.16384). That has improved the situation, but the problem didn't go away completely.

I have tried checking my latency with Latencymon, and this is the result:

http://imgur.com/a/P4cLT

This is without any games running. If a game is running the highest latency will come from HDaudbus.sys. Interestingly, even if the sound is completely muted in-game, HDaudbus.sys will still provide the highest latency.

I have tried various fixes that I found online that helped others such as:

1) Changing graphics card to always pick the NVidia GTX 850m one instead of the integrated one.

2) Putting power saving options on high performance.

3) Upgrading drivers to latest possible versions, as stated above.

These are the things that I wanted to try next but I'm not very familiar with this so I wanted to ask here first so I don't mess up something.

Someone mentioned in one of the various threads about this problem online that upgrading the chipset drivers for my motherboard might help. I have found the motherboard model for my laptop and there are drivers for Windows 8.1 64-bit there. My question is:

1) Is it safe to install the chipset drivers provided there? Should I uninstall some older chipset drivers before doing it? How do I even check which version of chipset drivers I have currently?

2) The Acer motherboard driver pack has a Realtek HD audio driver which is a couple of years older than the one on the Realtek website. Should I revert the audio drivers back to this older version? Or is the newest version also good to use?

I'm already going slowly mad because I cannot think of a good reason for why this is happening. Any help would be aprreciated.