Display port issues with the Predator x34

Options
brighttail
brighttail Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Kinda weird issue here.  Moved my x34 downstairs to a computer with a GTX 970.  That computer was using a monitor connected using a Display Port cable.  The x34 however gives me the "no display connected" message when I try to use Display port.  Using HDMI it is fine.   This happens in windows and even when just trying to get into BIOS.    The motherboard BIOS is updated as are the drivers of the GTX 970.  Now here is where it gets weird.

If I connect BOTH the HDMI and DP and boot into windows using the HDMI input, THEN I can change the monitor over to Display Port.  The problem is when I do that, what I see on my screen is what I would see if I were using a second monitor, just my desktop with no icons.   If I then unplug the HDMI cable, leaving only the DP, then the monitor switches back to my normal desktop and I'm good and the monitor works using Display Port.  That is until I reboot or turn off the monitor, then I have to go through the whole series of events all over again.

If I put the x34 on my main computer with my 1080ti, the DP works fine and there is no issue.  If I put it on my wife's computer with her GTX 770, the Display port works with no issue.   If I put it on a computer with a 980 or try to connect it to my laptop that has a 970M I have the same problems with the Display port.  I tested the GTX 970 on two other monitors, one that has a 1080p resolution and my 4k monitor using display port.  It worked fine. 

On top of all this if I get the Display port working, I can't change the Refresh rate on the monitor to 100Hz or anything above 60Hz otherwise I get the whole "no monitor detected" message and have to  start all over.  I have checked the VBIOS on the Gtx 970 and it is the most current.

So here is what I'm thinking:

1. There is a problem with the Display Port or components of the Predator x34

2. There is some sort of conflict between Nvidia's 900 series and this monitor

3. I have no clue.

So does anyone have a suggestion?  I know I may have to RMA this but before I do, i want to do everything I can to fix it.  Having to ship this monitor BACK to Acer is going to be very expensive. Smiley Sad  Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers

• brighttail
    Options

So I have gone through many pages of this forum and have seen that there have been several differnt monitors with this issue.  The problem is I have never seen a solution.

I did contact the Predator Tech support and I have to say I was honestly very disappointed.  The two people I talked to, didn't even know that the x34 could go to 100Hz. They didn't know how to change the resolution within windows 10, instead the person had to go look it up.  Basically the phone call was 45 minutes and 32 minutes long, over half of it I was on "mute" not even a proper hold, while i fiddled around trying things while these people did research.

In the end I'm offered nothing but a RMA.  That is such an easy answer, just RMA it.  Does Acer employees not understand that shipping this monitor back to Acer is probably going to be over $100-300 depending how you ship it?  At least give me SOME trouble shooting steps or something to try before you give up.  In the end I gave up on both calls after being on 'infinite mute' with me saying, "Hello? Hello?" and no one responding.  So any help the comunity can give me it would be appreciated.

• Medspeak
    Medspeak Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I don't have a solution for you, but I have one thing you possibly could try if you haven't already.  I've been struggling with a similar problem with the DP connection.  In my case, getting to my windows desktop using the DP cable takes a long time.  A really long time.  It may be related to your "no display" message in that just nothing seems to be happening onscreen.  I get the windows logo and it's just stuck there for a good 2 minutes until finally it "wakes up" and I get the whirling circle and then onto desktop.  My previous monitor using DP took 27 seconds to get to desktop. 

I've spent the last 10 days reading and researching on the net.  I've disabled nearly everything in my start-up folder, uninstalled programs, ran diagnostics, bought and tried different certified cables.  I did read posts where it seemed there might be some merit to the fact that a good number of Maxwell architecture video cards are having DP-related problems with this monitor.  And I think you've found that to be true, as you had no problem with your 1080 card.  And even the 770 video card ran it fine (I think that's a Kepler card?). 

I am coming up to the end of my 30-day return window, and I had been struggling with wondering if it was a problem with my system, my video card (a Titan X Maxwell), or a faulty display port on the monitor.  And if it was a faulty port, I needed to return this while I still could do so.  Your experience seems to confirm that it might well be more of a video card issue and I can safely keep my nearly perfect Predator, knowing that within a year or so I'll be getting a new card.  In the meantime, I can turn my computer on from a cold boot and walk away...go make coffee..and when I return it will be at the desktop and ready to go.  Once I'm at the desktop, I have zero problems.  No black outs, no signal loss, no flickering.  I'm at 100 Hz and ready to rock.

Anyway, one little thing you might try (and like I said, I've tried everything under the sun).  Plug your DP cable into the first DP port--the one closest to your motherboard.  Get to the desktop however you can...via your little workaround with the HDMI if you have to...but just get to desktop and then do your switch to DP to make that your active monitor. 

Go to your Device Manager.  Click on View and then click on SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.  Look at Monitors.  I suspect you'll have one bold (active) monitor...Acer (DP)...along with a bunch of grayed-out monitors.  Right click each grayed-out monitor individually and choose to UNINSTALL.  Do that for each one until you're only showing Acer (DP) as your one monitor.  Then close down your computer.  Remove your HDMI cable and only use the DP cable. 

From a cold boot, start up again.  Even if you get a "No Signal" message, just let it do its own thing.  Seriously.  Walk away for 5 minutes.  When you come back, if it's still a black screen, then it's obvious this is not the magic bullet solution for you and you'll have to do your HDMI workaround, get a new video card, or return the Predator.  But it's possible that your Maxwell card--like mine--is just extremely slow to communicate with the monitor and it will take longer as it cycles itself through no signal/signal/no signal.  Something else to try.  LMK how it goes.

• brighttail
    Options

Unfortunately this doesn't work.  The moment I restart the computer or turn off the monitor the DP is stating no connection.  So unfortunately I really am thinking it is a conflict between the 970's and this monitor. Smiley Sad

• Medspeak
    Medspeak Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Sorry it didn't help at all.  I know firsthand how very frustrating this is, with no one offering even unhelpful suggestions much less an outright solution.  I know I've done all I can...I feel I'm married to my event viewer at this point; I'm constantly checking it for clues.  But at least I know my system is streamlined, and you've actually reassured me that the monitor performs as it should with any video card other than a Maxwell-based one. 

Were you planning on returning it?  Or replacing your video card?  I had wondered if the ASUS PG348Q would work, but it is the same panel so I guess it's doubtful.  Wish I knew for sure, though.  I have 5 days left before I'm out of my return window.  Love the monitor otherwise; no scan lines, no coil whine, no dead pixels.  But that loooong cold boot irks the heck out of me!

• DEVOIDX360
    DEVOIDX360 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi All,

I know it's been a long time since this thread has been updated but I thought I should add my solution to this issue after having just purchased this monitor and spending many hours and late nights trolling forums and emailing various vendors for assistance (all of which came to nought).

After various attempts at switching between HDMI cables, various DP cables, GPUs and Systems, I gave up and called my retailer to advise them I would be returning the monitor for a full refund.

No sooner had I hung up the phone that the doorbell rang. A pleasant guy handed over an overnight satchel and took off for his next delivery without a care in world. I wondered for a moment if I should call out and ask him if he owned an X34 and used DP on his system. Nah. Too tired to bother.

Anyway. Back to the satchel...

The satchel contained a brand new VESA certified DP 1.2 cable (NO PIN 20) which I had ordered as a last resort form some chick that sells cables (Google it).

At this point I held little hope and considered not opening the satchel but figured; What the Hell!

I powered off my display and PC. Unplugged both power leads and removed all display cables. Purged the remaining power from the monitor and PC (not that this would make any difference but I like using snake oil).

Connected the DP cable to the monitor and PC followed by power leads to the monitor and PC. Powered on the display and then the PC. (Does it need to be in this order? Who knows. I'll ask an Electrical Engineer next time I bump into one. Until then, I'm sticking to; Yeah. It must be in this order.)

Anyway. Where was I? Oh yeah...

I plugged everything in and turned it on...

O
    M
    (Insert an expletive here - if you so wish)
    G
    !

You MUST be sh... kidding me!?   

It worked!

Acer! You bunch of ... lovely people with whom I have enjoyed so many emails...

The ***** cable YOU include with the X34 doesn't work. 

I am now running the X34 at 3440x1440 @ 95Hz. THANK GOODNESS. (I know the X35 is just around the corner and I could have taken this back and used the refund to buy it, but I like this thing. So. There.)

My System Specs:

Corsair P1007
    ASUS Maximus X Hero
    Intel Core i7-8700K
    32GB Vengeance (4x8) RGB 3466 Modules
    Corsair HXi850 PSU
    Corsair H115i AIO CPU Cooler
    2 x Gigabyte G1 GTX980 4GB x 2

Anyway. I hope others find this useful.

Good luck fellow X34 owners!!