Acer Aspire 5745 booting/running on power adapter with no, or bad, battery pack

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

The 'boo' relates to replacing the whole pack with its control chip and all instead of replacing the 18650 cells only. That is, I still have reservations about the old pack's circuitry and its communication with and affect on the rest of the system. As for replacement prices, it mainly depends on the vendor since most of them are mfd by the same few sources anyway much like the mainboards and the 18650 cells themselves. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• stepher
    stepher Member Posts: 17 New User
    Options

I already considered that. It's indeed a risk that the batt control circuitry (in the pack)  may not allow the circuit to work "normally" even after new batts are installed. I'm seriously thinking about it, but have yet to take action.

So, are you talking about finding a "pack" with new batts and control circuit that I can "fit" into the existing plastic case (which is unique to the laptop) or just a whole new pack, case and all (which would certainly be the safest way to go)?

JackE wrote:

The 'boo' relates to replacing the whole pack with its control chip and all instead of replacing the 18650 cells only. That is, I still have reservations about the old pack's circuitry and its communication with and affect on the rest of the system. As for replacement prices, it mainly depends on the vendor since most of them are mfd by the same few sources anyway much like the mainboards and the 18650 cells themselves. Jack E/NJ  

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>JackE wrote:The 'boo' relates to replacing the whole pack>>>

Ads for the whole shebang still less than $20 with free shipping from many Amazon & eBay vendors.  Some ads even sport a US flag no doubt to try to impress you with a good chance of getting a US return address imprinted on their mailing labels. Many vendors and even their products have more 5-star than 1-star ratings. Can't beat those statistics! 8^) Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• stepher
    stepher Member Posts: 17 New User
    Options

When the batts themselves would cost ~$40+/6 normally, I'd have to wonder about quality and reliability of the $20 units.

However, point well-taken Smiley Happy I will make it part of my (re)search process....

JackE wrote:

>>>JackE wrote:The 'boo' relates to replacing the whole pack>>>

Ads for the whole shebang still less than $20 with free shipping from many Amazon & eBay vendors.  Some ads even sport a US flag no doubt to try to impress you with a good chance of getting a US return address imprinted on their mailing labels. Many vendors and even their products have more 5-star than 1-star ratings. Can't beat those statistics! 8^) Jack E/NJ