Flashing BIOS Acer 5553g: stuck on blinking

controltheorist
controltheorist Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi everyone,

following this post: https://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Updating-BIOS-of-Acer-5553G-with-FN-ESC-Power-Button/m-p/334754

I tried to manage the bios flashing with drivers from acer website. However I got same result of the user in the link above, power led keep on blinking endless..

I premise I can only try to flash usb by using mac book...but I don't know if the usb pen is correctly flashed.

This laptop gave me several problems two years after I bought it. When it was ok, it gave me good perfomances, after then it has started having some vertical strips at the center of the screen and lately blank screen (at the startup the fan starts running then stucks. Display is totally black). I tried to remove ram,hdd, battery as discussed in several topic, but nothing.

Thanks for your support.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

Don't try to flash it before trying these tests first. Shut off all power. Remove battery & charger. Press & hold the power button for about a minute. Then re-insert battery & charger.

Press the power button once to cold boot. If display screen remains black, press the Fn+F6 toggle key combination to try to turn the display on. If still black, wait several minutes. Do you hear any sounds or beeps that suggests the machine has actually booted into Windows with a black screen?

If not, press & hold power button till machine shuts off again. Then HDMI out to an external TV. Press the power button once to cold boot again. If TV screen is also black, then press the Fn+F5 toggle key combination to try to turn the TV screen on.

Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• controltheorist
    controltheorist Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi JackE,

thanks for your reply.

I blindly followed your instructions. Here there are three attempts:

Shut off all power->ok

Remove battery & charger->ok

Press & hold the power button for about a minute->ok, a minute

Then re-insert battery & charger->ok

Press the power button once to cold boot.->ok

If display screen remains black-> yes it remains black

press the Fn+F6 toggle key combination to try to turn the display on.

If still black, wait several minutes->yes, it is black and I waited 5 minutes

Do you hear any sounds or beeps that suggests the machine has actually booted into Windows with a black screen? no beeps;still black screen. It initially makes a classical start-up sound (the one before turning on the fan) but no beeps. The fan quite fast goes on idle once powered on.

If not, press & hold power button till machine shuts off again->ok,however I don't need to hold,it immediatly shut off.

Then HDMI out to an external TV. Press the power button once to cold boot again. If TV screen is also black, then press the Fn+F5 toggle key combination to try to turn the TV screen on.

Nothing. My HD Tv says: no signal on both the hdmi ports.

I did three times.

It's a pity if something happened all of sudden at hw level..very weird. It was working quite well..

Thanks for supporting me.

• JackE

>>>It's a pity if something happened all of sudden at hw level..>>>

Yeah. My best guess is the integrated graphics adapter finally bit the dust evidenced by no TV screen. I seriously doubt the BIOS got corrupted or needs flashing. But if you want to give the phoenix BIOS Fn+Esc, Fn+B and/or Win+B flashing methods another go, I can try to walk you thru them. There is more than one method and each one has several different variations to try with no guarantees any of them will work in the face of a likely graphics hardware failure. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• bluehawana
    bluehawana Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Hi, JackE, I had the same problem, would you pls give us more hints or links about how to flash the bios, thanks!!
  • JackE
    @bluehawana What problem were you having with your 5553G that you thought flashing the bios would fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ