Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM - Increase speed and memory

blp321
blp321 Member Posts: 14 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

What would be the best items to purchase and install to increase the speed AND memory of my new Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM ?

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

Hi,

We need to know what you have at the moment(Hardware), you can increase the memory up to 16GB but it depends on what you do, 8GB is a sweet spot for most people, you can also switch your HDD to a SSD, if you have a third party AV installed( trial version of McAfee), uninstall it and see whether it helps improve the speed.

• blp321

Thank you brummyfan2.

I have a "stock" unit straight from Amazon.

It has:

Intel Core i3-7100U Processor 7th Generation , 4GB DDR4, 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Home.

I do not need anything too "heavy duty" as I am using it as a 2nd computer.

No heavy video or gaming - just day to day tasks...

But I do like it to be fairly quick and responsive.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Do the SSD hard drive. Will see the biggest gain in performance. The 5400 rpm 1tb drive is very slow. I think you can just add a 128 or 256gb m2 sata ssd. Check hatch near ram. Should be a small slot for one and open screw hole to secure it. If correct you can then keep the 1tb mechanical drive as storage, transfer OS to that and run primary stuff from there.

• blp321

Thank you!!

• jarud_acer_owner
    jarud_acer_owner Member Posts: 1 New User
    I purchased an E5 575-33BM Acer in January 2017 and by Dec 2017 the hard drive failed.  Mostly because off issues related to battery charge &  sudden shutdown and accumulated damaged sectors that were not repaired immediately.   After a few Windows updates at the end of the year, the drive simply could not read data on 90% of the drive and I was not able to use the file system to view files but I could run windows and have access to the internet.

Most tech support users I spoke to have the Samsung 850 EVO drives for several years and really like them.  I added a 4GB RAM from Amazon, as suggested by users on the site, and upgraded my hard drive, after it failed within 2  wks of its warranty, with the 850 EVO.

RESULTS!

1.  The Memory upgrade improves performance noticeably.   Video streaming quality improved
    2.  The Samsung 850 EVO SSD improved performance dramatically.  Startup uptime is 2 seconds to login screen and 1 second to shutdown (approximately).

I do not know if an increase in RAM to 16 or 32 GB will improve performance.

I believe the E5 575 -33BM purchased on Amazon is nice because of the easy access to upgrade the memory.  The hard drive is 1 year warranty 1 TB drive that is relatively slow.  When removing the hard drive note the color of the drive.  Green =1 yr,  Blue or Purple 2 or 3 ,   Black = 5 yr warranty as a standard.

More important to focus on is the 1 year warranty on the Hard Drive.  Replacing the Hard drive before it fails with a Samsung 850 EVO 250 G or 500 G is a good idea. 
  • hunt
    hunt Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
    I just purchased the new version of  the Samsung 850 EVO the 860 EVO. It has only been out for a short time from what I understand but is suppose to be somewhat of an improvement. How much I do not know because I never owned the 850. Just wanted to make you aware of the new model. Good Luck