Acer Predator G9-793 keyboard stop working, followed by black screen. Managed to fix, but concerned.

Options
Pedruska
Pedruska Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello. I am having an Acer Predator G9-793 , a 17 inch screen one, running Windows 10.

When I was gaming, suddenly, my keyboard stopped working. This includes every button, including the turn off button. I were able to shut down the computer using mouse, clicking a messanger message to be able to access desktop to click "shut down and update". 

Well, the computer started running an update and I went to toilet. When i came back, the screen was pitch black and the computer still running. No button or mouse-movement would clear it up. I waited for 10-20 minutes, nothing.

In the end, I did restart my computer by finding a needle and pressing the "reset battery" button at the bottom of the computer. The computer started as normal, asking me to wait as installing the update and then now works normally again.

So while the computer works okay "right now", that keyboard turning unresponsive got me concerned. What might be the cause of that?

Answers

• ZundapMan
    ZundapMan Member Posts: 87 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Are you running Windows 10 with automatic updating enabled?  I had a similar go-round with my ancient Acer Aspire Z3731-UR21P yesterday during a background update.  It apparently locked a file, or I had one locked that it wanted to replace, and MSFT in their infinite wisdom forced me to reboot before I could do anything.  The "keyboard lock" in my case was not just the keyboard.  I had to hold down the on-off switch until the hardware powered off my system.  It "came back" fairly normally, but I checked to see if there was an update by forcing one, and it took over, downloaded, rebooted, and re-indexed.  The log later showed that the same update had tried to complete three or four times before it was finally successful, primarily because I shut the system down all the way rather than letting it put itself to sleep, or hibernate.

• Pedruska
    Pedruska Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Possibly something along those lines. In my case though, not even the on-off switch did respond, despite holding it for 10 seconds or so. Hence why I had to "unplug the battery" and take off the power cord.

Started somewhat normal, ran an update and now works. I still find it odd, though.