How to replace CMOS battery on Aspire 5600U AiO??

Bill_AB_CA
Bill_AB_CA Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My Aspire 5600U AiO is failing on CMOS checksum errors. The CMOS battery may need replacement.

How do I do this? Can I find instructions and/or diagrams somewhere?

(I was able to easily remove the top back panel and see the motherboard but this does not expose the battery.)

Many thanks!

..Bill..

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

you need to remove the mainboard from chassis to reach the CMOS battery, mainboard is the PCB on the top right side (backview)

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

you need to remove the mainboard from chassis to reach the CMOS battery, mainboard is the PCB on the top right side (backview)

• Bill_AB_CA
    Bill_AB_CA Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you very much!

I was afraid you'd say that. Smiley LOL Removing the mainboard looks a little more involved than I want to take on.

Further, I now think the problem is much more than the CMOS battery:

a. The date/time and other CMOS settings will survive for at least 24 hours, so wouldn't this suggest there's still some energy in the battery?

b. There's another problem that seems to me to be much more serious. The machine won't boot from a rescue DVD or USB drive. Putting these drives ahead of the HDD in the BIOS boot options, or choosing one of them from the boot menu makes no difference. Win10 repair mode kicks in regardless and it always fails.

So I'm guessing the machine is dead and possibly not worth fixing.

If you have thoughts to the contrary, I'd be very glad to get them.

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to respond. Smiley Happy

• IronFly

about date/time, you need to unplug the power cable to be sure the CMOS battery is working or not.

about not booting from DVD or USB flash drive, be sure the USB flash drive is set as GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted.