Moving touchpad causes screen to turn off (Aspire Switch 10)

alelliot
alelliot Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in Switch Series

This is a strange problem. When I move the touchpad on my tablet, it causes the screen to turn off.

I have an Acer Aspire Switch 10 convertible tablet (touchscreen tablet with a built-in, detachable keyboard/touchpad). It has Windows 8 32-bit installed and was bought in 2013. I can use everything perfectly normally but when I try to move the touchpad at all, the screen turns off as though it's going to sleep. It turns back on just fine when I swipe up on the touchscreen. I have to do everything by using the touchscreen, not the touchpad.

The built in keyboard is working fine. I scanned the touchpad in Device Manager for changes, and checked for driver updates, and everything is up to date. I ran a scan with Windows Defender (this is my mom's tablet and she doesn't have any other antivirus software installed other than McAfee). I'm going to download Malwarebytes and Avast soon, but I wanted to post here first in case anyone had any suggestions as to where to start.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Few days ago, I had the same issue with my laptop under Windows 8.1.

First disconnect the mouse and restart by only using the keyboard:

• [Windows key]+[X]
    • Select Shut down or sign out and Restart by using the arrow keys and press [Enter]
    France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello,

• [Windows key]+[X]
    • Select Shut down or sign out and Restart by using the arrow keys and press [Enter]
    France
  • dmist24
    dmist24 Member Posts: 1 New User

Weird, I got the same issue just today, a day after you posted the issue. Mine is a Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Acer Aspire E5-471G laptop (I'm using a wired mouse). Whenever I touch the touchpad, the screen randomly goes black and turns on. As of now the solution of @laurent_14 works great! I removed the mouse, and restarted the laptop via keyboard. After reboot I tried to test by touching the touchpad and it does not anymore causes the turning on/off of the screen. Attached back the mouse, and everythings back to normal, no more on/off screen, touchpad is fine, and mouse is fine. I wonder what happened. Probably some update issue lately? I hope it never goes back. I made an account here just to reply. Thanks!

• laurent_14

Hi dmist24,

Yes it was an odd issue.Smiley Surprised I noticed this one came from just after this update:

• Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.237.193.0)

Personally I perform manually the updates. Like this, I can determinate the source. I had no problem until now so...

France
  • 1970-73
    1970-73 Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem with an Aspire E 14. Had not used it for 2 months and the battery was dead flat. After reading this usefull post i used a usb mouse i had plugged  in  to be able to us the laptop.Disabled the touch pad using the icon  with key F7. Restarted laptop and all was good on start up. Thanks

• Victor-
    Victor- Member Posts: 1 New User

Worked fine!

• daboy
    daboy Member Posts: 1 New User

@laurent_14 works great! my keypad no longer sleeps! kudos to you sir!

• elbowslash
    elbowslash Member Posts: 2 New User
    laurent_14 ..thanks man!
  • elbowslash
    elbowslash Member Posts: 2 New User
    laurent_14 ...thanks man!
  • The_black_Fire
    The_black_Fire Member Posts: 2 New User
    laurent_14 dose not work. Anyone got any other ideas?
  • The_black_Fire
    The_black_Fire Member Posts: 2 New User
    Found the solution I just started the laptop in Windows safe mode then restarted it and now it is working just fine. 
  • RAJUETTE
    RAJUETTE Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

• [Windows key]+[X]

• Meji
    Meji Member Posts: 1 New User
    Found the solution I just started the laptop in Windows safe mode then restarted it and now it is working just fine. 
    This absolutely worked for me when the other recommended solution did not work. I'm completely baffled as to how or why this worked.
  • ronjosh
    ronjosh Member Posts: 1 New User
    laurent_14.. thanks bro..
  • Farfaka
    Farfaka Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks dude work for my laptop
  • Faith_alone777
    Faith_alone777 Member Posts: 1 New User

@The_black_Fire I ONLY signed up to this community to thank you for taking the time to post and help others like myself!! Because of you, I was able to help one of the ladies from our Church get her Acer Aspire E15 Touch back up and running within minutes!!! This PC is running Windows 8.1. Out of knowhere, you could boot up the PC normally to the login screen, use the keyboard, use an external mouse without issues.. but the second you started moving or touching the touchpad, the screen would fade out to black.. then after a few seconds, come back on. This only happened when you used the touchpad. After shutting down the PC, I booted the PC up in Safe Mode. The touchpad worked perfectly in safe mode.. I then shut the PC down, then booted back up in normal mode… no more issues!!!!!!!!!! I'v seen this fix issues with BSOD Blue Screen of Death loops as well.. Not sure how this works, but it does :) So THANK YOU VERY MUCH The_Black_Fire!!!!!!!!!!! May The Lord Bless you and your family!!

This discussion has been closed.