G9-793-78CM - Thunderbolt port doesnt always activate

ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So the title might sound odd, but my problem is this.

I boot up, or use the laptop for a while, and decide I want to attach my USB-C external hard drive to my Thunderbolt port so I can do some data backup/transfer.

I attach it with my type-C to type-C cable, nothing happens.  No ding on the laptop, no status/power light on the hard drive.  I unplug, replug, turn the cable over (yes I know, its designed to work both ways, but I'm trying everything), and still nothing.

I leave one end of the cable in the laptop (TB port), and plug the other end into my Nexus 6P (Type C).  WORKS.  As expected.

So now I disconnect the phone, and plug the hard drive back into the same cable, and NOW the hard drive works!  (facepalm)

But after a reboot, I have to do that sequence all over again to get my TB port back up and running.  Its like the hard drive itself doesnt "activate" the port.  I'm actually lost on this one.  Any idea what might be keeping my port from working with the hard drive unless some other device, like my phone, has "turned on" the port first?

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

I attached 2 USB 3.0x4 hubs to the 3.1 port with alltogether 7 devices. All are working great.

But if I use 3.1 to 3.0 x1 adapter direclty to a special hard disc, it has similar behaviour as you described. It seems to have its problems with powersave. I think I can disable it with a tool. It's a WD. Current firmware. Another works fine.