Diffrent fps with laptop monitor and external 144hz monitor

ramborue
ramborue Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello.

Im not so good with computer teq, but i have a problem. Just baught a new acer predator 17 g9-791. it has gtx 980m and a i7 6700hq. I also have a benq 144hz monitor home.. 

I get more or less simular fps ingame no matter what settings i have on. Im playing trackmania 2 stadium, wich is not a very demanding game. I get max 120 fps there even on very low settings... when i connect my 144hz monitor and turn of laptop screen, i get 250 fps on high settings suddenly.. 

Why do i get low fps when the game runs on laptop screen?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

g9-791 has 1 integrated GPU, which is intel hd graphics and 2nd GPU which is a dedicated one - gtx980m. When you run the game through the laptop screen, have you made sure that you run it with the gtx980m? When connected to an external monitor, I think the dedicated GPU is used. Have you made sure that you are running the game with v-sync off? V-sync caps your fps to prevent image tearing. There is no difference whether the game runs at 120fps or 240fps or 10000000fps, as your monitor is 60Hz, meaning it will look like 60fps, therefore no more than 60fps is needed.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ramborue
    ramborue Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes im running via nvidia gpu via the control panel 3d settings(nvidia). v-sync is not an optian, as it slows down reaction ingame.. never liked it.. my old notebook had a 670m and i7 3600, and it ran 3-400 fps in low settings.. 

unexplainable, but in this game higher fps is actually better, even on a 60hz monitor..

cant seem to get the performance i expect via the gtx card..

how to fix that?