Model V5-471

ACERV5471
ACERV5471 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Okay,

Installed Windows 10 on ACER Laptop V5-471 about a year ago and all was fine until Anniversary Edition came out and I can't install it. I tried all the tips from Microsoft but they won't work. While installing I get no errors, but after many, many hours of trying I have to turn Laptop off and it reverts back to old version of Win 10. I called ACER and got sent to third party support who told me my model WON'T support Win 10 and was surprized it ran at all. They won't tell me why.

I've been buying computers since the 1980's and I've never seen a computer that ONLY supported one Operating System. I don't want to go back to the Horrible Win 8.1, if this is my only option I will NEVER BUY another ACER PC again.

Is there a FIX to run Windows 10 Anniversary Edition on this PC?

Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

The third party support people were not wording it right for you. What they were supposed to say was that Acer wasn't providing new drivers for Windows 10. Typically that was because the Windows 10 drivers worked out of the box, so they didn't need to do new ones. Acer published a list of models they were doing drivers for and there was a lot of confusion because of it.

What diagnostics have you done in regards to the Anniversary update? Does it throw errors into the event logs or into the update logs? Have you verified you have enough room for the update? I have seen at least one machine that took almost 36 hours to do the update, but it did succeed when left long enough...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ACERV5471

Tinkerer

Thanks for reply,

Before I continue trying to load V 1607

ACER C: has 387 GB open

Event log has tons of error messages from yesterday when I tried to install. Can't see how I can attach those files to this note.

thanks

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

So there's plenty of room at least. Smiley Happy

Set the Event Viewer filters to only show Critical and Error events, those will be most likely to tell us something, then look to see if there's anything that matches the times of the start and stop of the update. Make sure you have installed all the other available updates before starting the 1607 upgrade. If there's nothing in the Event Logs that comes close to matching the upgrade there's another log file to check out, C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. It should show the actual install process, which might help, though it's tougher to look through.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ACERV5471

Tinkerer

Event Log for when I tried to install 1607 has 18 "error" messages none that I can tell are critical. Next time update tries to install 1607 I'm going to let run overnight if need be. thanks

• ACERV5471

Tinkerer

Okay tried to install v. 1607 again. I let it run for over 35 hours, no error message just got thr spinning thing. I turned off and it reverted back to Win 10 v. 1511 now wants to install v. 1607 AGAIN. Only option to delay install was move out to 3-16.

Will this PC run Windows v. 1607 yes or no? If yes what do I need to do?

If no I own a copy of Win 8.1 PRO can I install it?

This is all very frustrating, very close to buying a MAC or Dell.

Thanks for any help.

• ACERV5471

Tinkerer

I called ACER corp. and explained the mess my Laptop was in and the NON-help I received from their support. They gave me a Microsoft number to call and THEY fixed over the phone.

Will never buy or recommend an ACER product ever.