K242HL randomly restarts. Acer is unable to fix it.

mikehartigan
mikehartigan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought an Acer K242HL monitor new a little over two years ago (still under warranty).  I'm running this aongside a ViewSonic monitor on a Windows 10 Pro box.  The Acer monitor randomly restarts at between five minute and, maybe, two hour intervals.  Occasionally, the blue power LED flashes for 10-15 seconds after the screen blacks out before restarting.  It doesn't seem to matter what apps I'm running or even if I'm actively doing anything.  I'm not a gamer.

I updated the driver to what appears to be the lastest version (version 1.0.0.0, 5/6/2013), and I've tried four different video cables.  I'm currently using a DVI-HDMI cable because that's the last one I bought and I have no other uses for it.  I tried a different video card and even a different computer.  I've swapped out the power cord and moved to a different room.  In short, I'm now grabbing at straws.  FWIW, I'm feeding it with 117.3, virtually noise-free volts, so that's not the problem.  

I sent this unit to Acer for warranty repair in January.  After a couple of days, it was returned with a new power board (or something like that).  Five minutes after plugging it in, it restarted, then again after about a half hour.  I contacted Acer and they immediately sent me a return label.  This time I waited nearly a month.  They said it passed all the diagnostics, so they returned it, as-is.  Not surprisingly, the problem didn't go away.

Yes, I'm PO'd, but I'd do as well to pound my head against a wall as return it to Acer, again, to try to get them to honor their warranty.  Evidently, they're not up to the task of fixing this monitor and, frankly, I'm out of patience.  I've also spent nearly as much on cables as I would have on a similar replacement monitor.  I've been without it for too long already.  Thus, I'm considering other options.  

An Internet search suggests that this is not an entirely unheard of problem, and it's not unique to Acer.  Presumably, it's a hardware problem.  Perhaps some common components are at fault.  I've seen APL1084 voltage regulator (U17 on the board) cited as the culprit, but I'm assuming, perhaps naively, that this was effectively replaced when it got its new power board.  Inadequate heat dissipation has also been blamed, but I would expect the occurrences to increase in frequency as heat builds up over time.  I'm handy with a DMM and a soldering iron, and I'm not afraid to replace a component or two, if that's all it needs, but I'm not up to diagnosing the problem, so I need somebody to point me in a right direction.  Is this, indeed, a common problem with a relatively simple solution?