amielgb
amielgb Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Travelmate P246M. How to reset Bios password

Answers

• avengerman14s
    avengerman14s Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello,

I have a couple of Travelmates and one is locked, I think windows did it when I enabled Bitlocker and encrypted the HD. Anyway from what I can tell you need to send it back to Acer. I have removed CMOS Battery, shorted out what looks like a reset point on motherboard all without luck.

Their is a way to gain access to the settings but not remove the password, one 3rd attempt youll be prompted to either reboot or shutdown, it will also show a code (not the password). Write down code search the internet to unlock. It will show what to do but once inside the Bios Setup you can change most things but you cannot reset password. I used it to enable the F12 boot option.

As stated before to remove the password your going to need to send to Acer, hope this helps somewhat.

Jim

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

BIOS passwords must be removed by an Acer authorized service center. For assistance with this please contact Acer support for your region from contact info posted here:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• Member Posts: 1 New User
    that stinks - there should be a published way to reset the bios passwords other than sending the unit back to acer - that would cost much more than the computer is worth and definitely a consideration regarding purchasing a replacement since the unit I have now will only run on a USB drive.  The HDD is accessible from the OS on the USB drive but the OS will not boot due to the UEFI being locked out by an unknown forgotten bios admin password.  as above, the code displayed after the 3rd unsuccessful bios login is useless. :(
  • STEWC6
    STEWC6 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I know how you feel. I am having a similar problem.