Acer Aspire E5-575G Powers off suddenly while disconnected from the wall.

Cysteric
Cysteric Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have been having this constant problem with my Acer product lately. While the computer is unplugged, at a random time, it will power off, ending with a sudden click sound, and I'm assuming this is the hard drive powering down. I talked to support about this issue, and they said to hold the battery remove button on the bottom of the unit, but I had no luck. I found High Performance mode to at least suspend this from happening. I do not belive it is an overheat but im not completely sure. I would love to get some help with this problem as for I use the unit for school and I have lost many important documents.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,689 Trailblazer

Which OS are you running? Does it only happen when running on battery? Does the battery normally last long enough from a full charge? Are you working on the laptop when the issue happens , or is it sitting waiting for you to do something? Does it only happen when some specific apps are running?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cysteric
    I am on windows 10, and I have found the issue to be an overheating issue. I found It to only happen when on the power saver or balanced mode. I monitored the CPU temp and it would usually rise to 90° C before suddenly shutting off.
  • billsey

I had a similar problem with the original Switch 12, during the hottest part of the year it would randomly just quit and the back would feel very hot. It seemed to be related to charging while using graphics (such as games, even non-intense ones). I found a workaround by using a small USB fan pointing at the back of the tablet. Once the outside temperature dropped off the problem went away. I expect it'll be back next August.

I posit that as the battery ages it heats more while charging than it did when new. With the added heat load the normal cooling system gets overwhelmed, allowing processor temperatures to raise to their shutdown limit (typically 100C). Charging only when not in use would mitigate the problem quite a bit, at the loss of some flexibility.

I don't know if any of that helps with your issue, but it might help pin down the problem.

Yours is new enough that it's unlikely to be an issue with an old battery. If you can't come up with anything you are doing to stress the cooling it's probably best to contact Acer support for a warranty repair. You might have a defective battery or a bad charging circuit, or bad cooling connections for the chipset.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cysteric
    I have found that it isn't a heating or cooling issue. Using a program I monitored the CPU temp and the temp of others and found that when it suddenly shut down it was at 40° C. I'm going to contact Acer for a repair. I have a question though, can you remove the HDD before you send it in for repair? Thanks.
  • billsey

Not really, they need the drive in there in order to run the tests. You'd hate to pull the drive, send it in and later find the problem was actually caused by a corrupted drive. They would have returned it "no problem found". I always do a bare metal backup before sending something like this in, but you could also image the drive.