anybody here using Aspire 5672 AWLMi or similar?

Options
heinz57g
heinz57g Member Posts: 11 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
i seem to get stuck with mothers and mothers-in-laws (75+) that consider a 9 year old laptop ultra-modern, and easy to set up for them.

have an Aspire 5672 AWLMi here, and need to convert it to linux. MINT comes to mind, others too. it seems to be the closest to WIN XP which they are (were?) familiar with. so they say.

anybody here using such a 5672, and has any experience with it? any tips, any ideas most welcome - before i run into a wall.

greetings       - heinz -

Answers

• heinz57g
    heinz57g Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

now according to the statistics here i got some 1274 views in only 4 days - impressive, no? but not a single answer, or comment. come on, help me to get started.

greetings       - heinz -

• mtsiakiris
    mtsiakiris Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    OK. Its been long time, but I have an Aspire 5672wlmi (not awlmi) for more than 12 years now. Running win10 (with major issue the ati x1400 driver, but a specific windows vista version do the trick). Except the performance issues (1.66 GHz cpu and 3GB RAM), the latest windows updates include power management techniques that are not supported by the bios and not update to this is available.
    Anyway, I think that UBUNTU works fine, as I am dual/triple/etc booting for ubuntu, centos, fedora, slax withouth major problems.
    I cant see movies without glitching.
  • tabakisp
    tabakisp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I tried installing W7 on it but it lagged too much for the basics. Plus, temperatures where always topping. After years of distro hopping I decided to install Xubuntu. It run smoothly from the start but you could see you couldn't let's say watch 1080p video fullscreen with 5 tabs of mozilla open. Untill I disabled all the windows effects and the composer. Since then it felt faster and was, too. After its 3 WinXP-years and 7 Xubuntu-years it died though.
  • mtsiakiris
    mtsiakiris Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    tabakisp said:
    I tried installing W7 on it but it lagged too much for the basics. Plus, temperatures where always topping. After years of distro hopping I decided to install Xubuntu. It run smoothly from the start but you could see you couldn't let's say watch 1080p video fullscreen with 5 tabs of mozilla open. Untill I disabled all the windows effects and the composer. Since then it felt faster and was, too. After its 3 WinXP-years and 7 Xubuntu-years it died though.
    Mine is still working after all latest W10 updates! Only bsod when trying to shutdown. I don't care a lot.
    Take a note that I have an SSD on it, all maximum RAM (4GB, 3 usable due to x86) and all heat pipes, blower, etc. are working fine. Yes, some times it gets hot as its constant 100% cpu. I can do what I want though, it was an investment at the time (1199 euros, Mar. 2006) where I will never regret.