thunderbolt port inop?

Options
eBaCmYuJ
eBaCmYuJ Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi everyone. I recently bought a thunerbolt 3 device (razer core) and when I plug it in to my predator 17 laptop nothing happens. The core clicks and that is about it. MY laptop doesnt even show that anything is plugged in. SO at that point I deleted my thunderbolt 3 drivers and reinstalled them, restarted my computer, Then I tried to install the nvm 14 update and all that would happen in cmd prompt is.. initializing contoller and it would repeat that command. Basiclly telling me that the update is not going through. I don't have another thunderbolt 3 device to test nor another computer to test the core on. Is their another way to test my thunderbolt 3 port? Such as get a thunderbolt 3 adapter to say usb, hdmi, or display port and see if the port is working that way or will that not tell me anything? Also I can't find or do not know what the thunederbolt port name should be in device manager. I know that the razer core is meant for razer and that it could possibly be a compatability isssue but the thunderbolt system should at least see a device plugged in. Any help would be amazing guys cause I'm realy frustrated trying to figure this out.

I have predator 17 model #G9-792-79UO 

Answers

• Ice-9
    Ice-9 Member Posts: 29

Tinkerer

Options

Do let us know how it works out, I've been curious how it's going to work, I don't believe it'll work with optimus but who knows. I've been wanting to buy one to test, but I think there needs to be a bios update for it, did you update all the drivers for the razer core or it doesn't even get recognized in the device manager?

Hey Acer, listen up lol...

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

IT doesn't even reconize it in the device manager. I know for a fact that people have gotten the core to work. I just can't remmber the forum I saw it on. Any one have any ideas ?

• Ice-9

Tinkerer

Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFZGCwoRmo

They're saying very "flaky" , did you try booting cold with it plugged in?

• Ice-9

Tinkerer

Options

https://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/Add-razer-core-support/td-p/436119

Acer, you saw this in May, how about a bios update?

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

Tried doing a cold boot. Didn't help. My issue is the computer doesn't even reconize their is a thunderbolt device. Second I can't update the firmware part of the thunderbolt port. I can update the software part just fine

• Ice-9

Tinkerer

Options

https://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-G9-591-LV-Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-2-Parts/td-p/436984

give that a shot.

not to sound stupid, but you did run the patch as "administrator" correct"

under windows 10, click start, type thunderbolt, open it, a box will come up, go into task bar right click you'll find all the settings and FW Versions and options.

https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadcenter.intel.com%2Fdownload%2F26052%2FThunderbolt-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

Latest Thunderbolt Drivers, start there.

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

Yea I actually had the latest drivers intalled when I got the core.Aand yes ran everything as admin. The only stupied question is the one that isn't asked. 

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

i cant update anything though acer care center. its garbage in my opinion.

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

I just wanted to let the community know that I got the razer core working. I need to do some bench marks but I got it working after much head ache. If any ones interested let me know and i'll get ya the full instructions on what i did. Even though it was a pain for me. It's really simple once you know what to do.

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

While i don't have this razor box, i would definetly like to hear what was the problem and how you solved it. Wanna be ready, and be sure that my tb port is capable of everything. Thx in advance. 

• eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

Options

Honestly it was fresh installation of windows. like wipe everything off and start from scratch. I'm doing a write up on the process I use and then my experience's with the core if or any one else wants it for references.

• Wasiq
    Wasiq Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi i would really like to know how u did it, and also do u think it will work with the akitio node? And once u have it working, are u restricted to using the core only or is it like a plug and play thing?
  • vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

And i wonder if it will work with descrete-only laptops, like mine 593 with nv 1070 and no intel gpu.

• Wasiq
    Wasiq Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I too have a non-switchable laptop. 793 gtx1070. Would be awesome to know that i can simply add another gpu when the time comes.
  • uglybrowne
    uglybrowne Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Can you tell us how you did it please? Just bought one today and Im having the exact same problem.
  • eBaCmYuJ

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Options
    uglybrowne Tell me excatly what it is doing. Second what laptop do you have and which thunderbolt device do you have?
  • JDCarona
    JDCarona Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hey i also have this problem. Could you explain how you did it. I have the Acer Aspire VN7-593G.
    Did you just do an windows reset?
  • cararescu
    cararescu Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2020
    Options
    hello I have the same issue, Can you tell me what did you do to make it work? I got core x with 2080 and G9-791. When I plug in nothing happens