ES15 Internet and Microsoft Office not working.

judyw
judyw Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've had my laptop since May last year, and I have just started having problems with it. The problems seemed to happen just after I uppdated the TomTom app and now it won't connect to the internet and when I try to save any Microsoft documents it just says Word not responding.

I'm in the UK.

HELP!

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

My first thought would be to roll back the TomTom app update.. ie: restore prior save point in windows before that TomTom update and see if normal function returns. You state it occured after that update. As for Word program, not 100% sure but without internet connection to validate Microsoft Word program I think it deactivates it thus you can not use it. What I mean is I think Word authenticates with the internet before you can use it so see if you can roll back to a prior restore point in windows. Go from there.

• judyw

Tinkerer

Oh forgot to say, I've removed the Tomtom app from the computer.
  • Trukntigger

Would still roll back too prior windows restore point. One that dates prior to the TomTom error point. Have you tried this?

• judyw

Tinkerer

I need you to explain a few technical terms to me, although I'm ok with computer terms I'm no whizzkud! ???? What does roll back mean and how do I do it?
  • Trukntigger

Goto system properties...System protection tab on top...System Restore button...box pops up, click next...you should see several restore points that have been created automatically by windows over time as major updates and system changes occur. Find the most recent that was before the TomTom issue. Select that and click next.  This will roll back the driver changes that seem to have messed up your computer. It will not delete any work you have done but it will undo any updates that have happened after that restore point.  So you roll back to that point, restart and it should correct the changes that TomTom did when you updated. I am not very familar with that device but seems like a driver change did not apply correctly or is causing a conflict in the system, compatiable or otherwise.  This is my best sugestion without doing a full system restore. That would be last choice.  Backup everything and then restore to day one like new and update from there then add in your backed up files.

I wish to add that even if you uninstalled the TomTom that normally does not remove everything. There are some programs out on the web that are ment to remove any trace of a program but I do not recommend using without having some decent knowledge of what your deleting first.

• judyw

Tinkerer

Thank you, I will give that a try, thanks for your help.
  • judyw

Tinkerer

Hi, Sorry I haven't been in contact for a while. I did the System Restore and it seems to have worked with Microsoft Office but I jave not been able to get on the Google Chrome but could get on Microsoft Edge for a while but can't anymore. Any ideas?

• Trukntigger

Chrome out.  Edge worked then also out. Internet access ok? Anyway to download say Firefox and try that? If you download from another computer get the "stand alone" installer or sometimes referred too as "off line" installer. Most installers use a starter which then downloads the most recent version to install. Stand alone/off line gets you past that with a full install so when you copy to say a USB flash drive you can do full install from it.  Let know if that worked or other issue.

• judyw

Tinkerer

OK, I will give it a go. I have another laptop a reconditioned macbook which Firefox is already installed on I presume I can do it on that as I am unable to get on the internet at all on the Acer. I presume I install or move it onto the USB stick?

• Trukntigger

Odd still no internet at all? Both wifi and Ethernet? What. Does device hardware manager show for network devices?

• judyw

Tinkerer

Yes, thing is when I go into settings and then status it says I am connected to the internet, I haven"t checked with the ethernet (this is via a cable I presume).

I have gone into Network and it says "Network discovery is turned off, network computers and devices are not visable. Please turn on network discovery in network and Sharing Centre."

• Trukntigger

It does not need that on to operate.  Wondering if any online features work? Windows update? Sounds so far like you have connection but browsers getting hijack or something.  Did you download the full offline installer for say firefox?  Copy it to USB stick then install on that laptop from the stick. See if that works?

• judyw

Tinkerer

I am trying to download the Firefox now onto my other laptop but when I go onto their website their is no option for the full offline installer it just comes up with a navigation box asking me if I want to download. The other think I'm concerned about is I already have Firefox on my macbook so I don't want it to conflict with that....I presume it won't?

• Trukntigger

This link,  it is the full installer, not a loader.  Copy to flash drive and run this on that acer.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

find one you need, guess english 64bit