S7 393 turning on by itself!!!

xzotick
xzotick Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi.

I was able to tighten 3 screws and fix the turning off problem on battery power....

However I have an even more anoying problem.. when the laptop is closed and you are moving about

it turns on by itself. this happens when it is inside the case and it gets super hot!!! it never happens when the screen is open at home. I opened the bottom looking for a sensor that might signal opening the screen, but I didnt see anything. any ideas on this?

thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

that's strange, since the S7-393 has a sensor that prevent the system to turn on when the screen is closed.

have you tried to push the power button when the lid is closed?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • xzotick

Thanks for the reply....

I tried to actually turn it on while the lid was fully closed with the button, it wouldnt turn on.. however if I move the laptop around it turns on almost instantly...I believe it thinks I am opening the screen when I'm really not..

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

probably is the lid sensor but honestly i don't know where it can be inside the case.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • xzotick

does anyone know where the lid sensor might be located?                                     

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have you checked device manager>network adapter>properties>advanced for "wake on xxx" or WOL permissions and disable all. Also device manager>network adapter>properties>power management for any "Allow this device to wake..."

I just wonder if the network adapeter is sensing a signal that tells the computer to "wake up".

• xzotick

I had checked those before, but I went back and doublerd checked. with lid closed, I moved cpmputer around a little it powered right up by itself. but with the screen open. it never happens.

thanks for the reply

• padgett

How fast does it power up ? I'm wondering if maybe really sleeping/hibernating and jostling with the lid closed is enough to wake it.

I'd be tempted to connect an external monitor and see if anything displays when shaken/stirred.

• xzotick

I have all the sleep functions(hibernate too) turned off. it turns on within a second or two of movement..

thanks

• padgett

Why I suggested an external monitor was to see if it turns on to the Acer (BIOS) screen or a Windows screen ?

• xzotick

with HDMI connected it goes to my bios password screen..

thanks

• xzotick

with HDMI connected it goes to my bios password screen..

thanks

• xzotick

Sorry for double post.....

thanks

• padgett

So it is a full boot and not a wake up. Think you may have a shorting cable or a faulty power switch. Is it still under warrenty ? Suspect a hardware problem.

• xzotick

yeah warranty is already out. its weird if its the switch, it doesnt do it when the lid is open. power switch works as normal....

thanks

• padgett

That indicates that it is a cable or connector or PWB somewhere that is carrying both a "wake-on" signal and the "lid open" signal that shorts together and I do not know which that would be