Stuck on Acer Logo (How to re-flash BIOS ?)

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

You wrote earlier>>>Removed CMOS battery and turned on laptop to clear BIOS. BIOS was cleared (multiboot option disappeared) but still stuck on same screen.>>>

Do you mean the "F12" boot mgr notation at the bottom of the Acer logo splash screen? Is the "F2" bios menu notation still there? 

Seems like a last-ditch effort is fast approaching. I feel we're at least at a point where the next moves might ruin the mainboard if it hasn't been already. New mainboards are available for your machine as its used in many other models as well. However, it could cost as much as $180 USD according to alibaba listings.

I suggest first removing the battery, power supply & CMOS cell again. Then short the CMOS contacts on the mainboard for a few seconds. Also press & hold the power button while doing so.  Then put it all back together and see  what happens.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH
    RPH Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Yes and yes.

Before fiddling with the motherboard itself, I'd prefer to possibly explore other options (even flashing the BIOS) first.

One option that remains is to somehow install a recovery partition on the HDD and use some key combination to boot from it as soon as the laptop starts. I found a program: AOMEI OneKey Recovery that does somehting like that. Only problems are that I don't know if it can place the recovery partition on another disk apart from the primary one (If I were to connect the HDD to my desktop PC using SATA) and it doesn't seem to be able to create the recovery from an iso (the OS on my desktop is 32bit not 64). I don't know if there are any other programs out there that can do something similar ?

Apart from that, there is still of course the option to re-flash.

Personally, I would like to avoid fiddling with the board itself until the very last step, because I'll probbaly end up shorting out the whole board...

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

You can certainly try to image your entire old HDD onto a new HDD including the hidden erecovery partition. if this is what you mean? But I think this assumes the old HDD hidden erecovery partition is still uncorrupted. If this were the case, I think the Alt+F10 erecovery routine should've worked.

The reason I suggest shorting the CMOS motherboard contacts is that I feel it's less likely to ruin the BIOS chip than a faulty flash. It's an attempt to simply discharge the BIOS chip and hope it returns itself to a default state if its boot block is still OK.

However, if you wanna go right to flashing, I'll try to help you do that now if you're ready.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

I meant trying to create a new recovery partition on the existing HDD either using the existing system image or an image from another PC...The program I mentioned previously seems to be able to do that but only if I could still get into Windows on the laptop to back it up...I don't know if I can do it from another PC...

• Chuxey
    Chuxey Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi RPl, have you been able to resolve this problem, I have the exact same issue.
  • jakson2070
    jakson2070 Member Posts: 1 New User
    unbelievable acer does not have a response to this error
  • BrainZ
    BrainZ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same problem. Did anyone fix this? 
  • Meeedo0o0o
    Meeedo0o0o Member Posts: 39 Troubleshooter
    i'm having the same problem. Did anyone find a solution for this problem please?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Meeedo0o0o,

I suggest you to create a new post to get a better response mention the unit full model name in the post.
  • Meeedo0o0o
    egydiocoelho can you please help?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @Meeedo0o0o as Easwar suggested, you should start a new thread rather than camping out on a thread from this long ago. Include your full model number, what symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Meeedo0o0o
    i started a new thread the same day, thanks.
  • RPH

Tinkerer

@Meeedo0o0o I did not resolve this issue. Please let me know if you manage to find a solution. Thanks.