would like to do a fresh install

ChiLeahWilson
ChiLeahWilson Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have lots of error and missing some important files and drivers I tried resetting it twice in which case the troubleshooter said that it could not fix or repair. Then it crashed both times the first time I had just upgraded to anniversary edition  and the second time someone at microsoft website suggested I try again having me change the bios from uefi to legacy  both times it crashed and I had to use the recovery drive that has the corrupted and missing files recovery drive. I would like to do a fresh install but am terrified that once I go down that road my notebook will be UN usable. The recovery drive is from right after the upgrade to anniversary edition which did not install correctly when I try to download the upgrade again or use media tool it says need more space on c drive I don't even have all the apps that win 10 came with and only have my acer care center and quick acess version1 something most of the double program files have finally after 6 mo disappeared I have no clue where too. Last time I tried to delete something I took out my bluetooth personal network adapter which no doesnt' work either. can anyone help before I turn my only way to the outside world into swiss cheese. Please help walk a novice okay straight up dummy through  any advice. I tried using the dism.exe to fix the missing and corrupted files but that just gave me a ton of logs and reports I don't know how to use to fix what it says is missing. . computer dummy needing help

thanks CHileah

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sounds like you need to do a complete system restore to factory configurations. If your back up is corrupt we recommend you obtain recovery media for your model which is available for purchase at the Acer store: 

https://store.acer.com/en-us/

If the restore fails from recovery media, we would recommend service at that point. If there is a hardware problem with the hdd or other component, the restore can fail. In this case please contact Acer support from contact info here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• ChiLeahWilson
    ChiLeahWilson Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you so much for your advice. I was wondering can I install windows 8 or 8.1 instead of reinstalling windows 10 my cloudbook came with win 10 but since I bought it last feb 2016 I did the windows 10 upgrade to anniversary edition through the acer website in sept by october I have spent more time fixing reinstalling and looking for drivers and missing files then I can say. It works for now but most of my devices in device manager say further installation is required although all drivers are up to date grrr.. So I was wondering I have an older windows 8.1 os on a usb drive can I just download and run that instead of windows 10 I should say that the needs further installation is after someone at microsoft walked me through downloading the image tool and creating an iso thumbdrive for a clean installation which wipes out all of the acer apps that came with the computer I have also downloaded the drivers from acer support page and still says need further installation. I live on a very fixed income this was a gift to myself last year I can not really afford to buy the recovery media which I didn't create when I first bought the computer just after the intial upgrade to anniversary makes me wish I hadn't taken up the free upgrade. it worked fine before that. again thank you

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you have drivers issues with windows 10, using an unsupported OS will make things worse.

by the way, it's pretty strange this issue on windows 10 and cloudbook.

can you please take a screenshot and then post it here?

screenshot:

windows logo key + PrintScreen

(screenshot will be saved under Pictures/Screenshots)

to post your screenshot, just click on Photos icon on the reply frame.

if you want to do a clean install, i suggest you to download from Microsoft servers the latest windows 10 version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click on Download tool now and have a 8GB USB flash drive available, plug it in and follow the instructions.

I'm not an Acer employee.