G9-791 - Windows update NVIDIA driver is terrible

Goosey
Goosey Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello all,

I just got a Predator G9-791. Running games on the machine in its freshly installed state was fine, but after running Windows update on 15th Jan 2017 (as suggested by the Acer drivers update page), the NVIDIA driver is updated and a whole lot of software is installed. After that, the same games run at half the speed they did previously, and have laggy jittery graphics. Uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and software returns it to a better working speed, but this won't be a sustainable solution as some games (Battlefield One) will insist on updating the driver.

I have tried a system factory restore to prove this and the only things (other than the Windows update) that we installed are the latest steam client, and the two games to test with (Mount and Blade, Borderlands 2), neither of which are very taxing and should really fly on this system.

When we did have the NVIDIA software installed, it showed that the GTX980m was being used to run the games, not the Intel one.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a "best" driver from NVIDIA that I should install for great performance? Basically this thing is worse than a 2-3 year old HP with much lower specs and might need to be returned!

Answers

• EliteMan
    EliteMan Member Posts: 31 New User

You shouldn't return it. You should go to a electronic store(Best Buy,etc) and go to a professional to deal with the issue.