Aspire 5253-BZ602 hinge problem

denofwolves
denofwolves Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have a problem with my Acer Aspire laptop which I am afraid cannot be fixed inexpensively. The hinges on both sides where they connect to the base have come loose and the screen separates from the base when you open the laptop. In researching it I have found that the plastic supports that the hinge screws are attached to in the base have broken off and there is nothing holding the screws any more.

I read on the forums about similar problems that others had and the support answers are anything but answers. The support person says all laptops have these problems. Well, guess what Acer, we arent talking about all laptops, we are talking about ACER laptops so please just address the problems with the ACER laptop. It is insulting to not answer the obvious design flaw that other people have had with the hinges. 

I used to be very happy with my Acer laptop but these kinds of problems and no real answers upset me and everyone else.

I guess I will have to find out if other manufacturers treat their customers like this.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

I fixed a similar broken hinge on another brand using JBWeld 2-part epoxy. Worked fine. You might want to give it a try. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• denofwolves
    denofwolves Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the suggestion Jack but the plastic supports where the screws are anchored are totally broken off and in pieces. It is impossible to find pieces that can be glued. The laptop worked fine except the case is toast and can't be fixed.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Can you post a JPG of what we're trying to deal with here? JBWeld 2-part epoxy is as much of a moldable filled plastic as it is a glue. Once set, it's stronger than the original case plastic and accepts metal screws just like the case once did. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Dhampir
    Dhampir Member Posts: 1 New User
    denofwolves, just because someone declares a problem to be a design flaw doesn't necessarily mean that the problem actually is a design flaw.  The problem of laptop hinge failure is common for a reason: it's a difficult problem to solve for all situations in a cost-effective manner.  Such a solution typically involves some serious re-engineering of the affected product, and the solution wouldn't be able to be implemented in units that have already been assembled (and usually results in a successive product).  (Although I do wonder why the long-time laptop manufacturers slip away from and back to better hinge designs.)

Let me point out here that the right hinge of my Aspire 5253-BZ692 (which probably is essentially identical to your 5253-BZ602) broke recently, but the points on the base at which the hinge attaches are intact - a different kind of break than yours.  If this problem were a design flaw, I'd expect my break to be the same kind as yours.

Acer doesn't sell parts in its online store.  The two Acer laptop parts vendors with whom I've checked don't carry replacement bases.  If you can't mold in place a replacement for the broken section of the base as JackE suggested, your problem is probably unsolvable.