Acer H277HK not working over usb c

Ejje
Ejje Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 22 in 2020 Archives

Hi!

I'm trying to connect a Acer H277HK, 4k with a usb c input to a Dell XPS 15 9550 with no luck. The laptop has a thunderbolt 3 connection but no video is sent to the monitor. The usb c connection does however recognize the usb ports on the back of the monitor and slowly charge the laptop (60W). 

So far i have updated all the drivers for both the moitor and the laptop(and bios). Still no video.

Has anyone some kind of idea of what the problem could be?

Best regards 

Eivind

Answers

• bjuckan
    bjuckan Member Posts: 1 New User

I am experiencing issues with my Macbook Pro 15 inch Touch bar late 2016. The screen only works from time to time. And I have to pull out the USB-C cable in the back of the screen to get it going. Really retarded! I hate both the screen and the computer at this moment....

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Not all USB-C ports support video. Check with Dell to verify if the USB-C port on the laptop does indeed support DisplayPort via USB-C.

• Ejje
    Ejje Member Posts: 4 New User

Well, in this video it sure seems to be working over usb c, although on a LG monitor LG monitor with xps 15.

Maybe it workes better with apple devices idk, i will return it. 

thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

• andersen09
    andersen09 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have exactly the same issue and I am very dissapoited.

Just sold my good faitfull Apple Cinema Display to get a 4K USB-C compliant monitor.

My problems:

- Most connections attemps does not generate an image, but charging of laptop starst (Macbook Pro 2016)

- When I disconnect my Mac (after finally getting an image) and reconnects problems start over

To solve it:

1) Connect Mac

2) Unplug power to monitor

3) Plugin power

sometimes a sleep/wake of the Macbook solves it.

I will return the monitor for an exchange but currently it is out of stock in the warehouse.
    Please Acer, confirm that this is not the way your USB-C works? Or prefereable let me (us) know the solution for an otherwise great product.

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

This monitor supports DisplayPort over USB-C. Sometimes Mac hardware can be tricky but we have no reports of this monitor not working with Mac laptops. You might try connecting to a Windows laptop or PC to troubleshoot and see if you have the same problems. If that does not work we suggest you contact Acer support to inquire about repair from the contact info posted here: https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• Burken1985
    Burken1985 Member Posts: 1 New User

Ejje the Dell xps 15 9550 aint supporting displayport at all and that is most likely the reason its not working.

Only Dell xps 9360 and 9560 are supporting displayport over type c (thunderbolt 3)

What i want to know tho is if the Acer H277HUsmipuz supports full thunderbolt 3 (40gbps) or the "Apple version" of 20gbps?

• rrussell23
    rrussell23 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad, and it WAS working to send video to the Acer, but now it isn't. Even though it is under warranty, acer wants me to spend ~$30 having it packed up to ship to them rather than them sending me a box so I can safely ship it off for repair. In what world do people keep the monitor box for months on end just in case the monitor fails? I want Acer to stand behind this >$600 non-functional piece of equipment. 
  • BenEadir
    BenEadir Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've exactly the same problem as rrussell23 with a ThinkPad T580.  Is there a way (hack?) to update to the latest firmware without having to ship the monitor back to Acer? 
  • alparis25
    alparis25 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same screen and an Ubuntu Dell XPS 13. I got mine to work by accident using the command inxi -G, it made my computer detect the Acer display via USB-C. (I had to install inxi beforehand).