Acer PC 2010 vintage says: Reboot and select proper boor device Or insert boot media: do not have it

da5e
da5e Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

PC just started acting up and I have no boot media: am I stuck?

I have experimented and can stop the bootup and press F2 and F12, and get into the ctrl F pages

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

enter BIOS pressing Del key at boot and check if your HDD is listed or not, check also under BOOT tab which is the first bootable device.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • da5e

I see my primary HDD listed during the initial drive scan on booting, along with my secondary (data) HDD and my DVD player. However, under Adv BIOS, 1st Boot device is NOT my primary (system) drive. Rather, 1st Boot  device is my secondary drive, then my DVD, USB, and LAN. How can I change to point to my primary drive? I see HDD Priority listed below the 4 Boot devices: is that the place to set it? Because on entering it says 1st drive as my secondary (data) drive, and it says 2nd drive [Disabled}. I do not see a place to select the primary drive; maybe this means the drive has failed. BOOHOO

• IronFly

yes, HDD priority is where set the first bootable HDD and if your HDD is missing, that means your motherboard can't find it.

Can be a bad cable, the motherboard connector or the HDD gone.

• da5e

odd that the initial scan of drives shows the drive I want; seems motherboard and cable must be ok.

• IronFly

Try to switch the 2 HDD cables and check if your primary HDD is recognised or try with just your primary HDD connected.

• da5e

Cool idea switching cables or removing secondary data drive: will take me a few hours to start this.

Excellent reply speed, THANKS

• da5e

Tried cable switching; did not help. Apparently Windows driver was corrupt (virus.), so getting machine rebuilt by Bestbuy geeks. Sigh

• IronFly
    Ok.