How to disable UEFI in Bios Version P11-A3

Hi,

i helping a friend and he wants to install win 7 on aspire xc-603 desktop. all i understood from checking posts on the internet is that we need to disable UEFI to be able to install win 7. 

the bios P11-A3 does not have Legacy mode option. please help

thanks

Answers

• centex_nisku
    centex_nisku Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you for instant reply. Can you assist how to update bios using a flash drive as there is no operating system on the hard drive so was thinking if there was a way to update that bios using a bootable flash drive and get it going.

Second option of win 7: I'm using original win7 cd but screen gets shuck on starting windows.

Thanks
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

is windows 7 installation DVD a 64 bit version?

you need to disable secure boot on BIOS:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27072

on Appendix folder there are 2 pdf files, one is for flashing using ony an USB flash drive with 2 files from the EFI folder.

i never done one using this method, so i can't help you more than the efi flash.pdf

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • centex_nisku
    centex_nisku Member Posts: 3 New User

Yes it's a win7 64 bit.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, try to boot disabling Secure boot on BIOS.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If your desktop came with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you can get that for free below.  After you install that, you can update BIOS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just my 2 cents.  Unless you're an experienced computer user (or your friend is an experienced computer user), it is better to use the default BIOS/UEFI settings and have UEFI with secure boot with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Windows 7 with a legacy mode BIOS (legacy MBR) is not very secure and prone to rootkits.  Rootkits are very bad and sometimes you don't even know you have one.  Rootkits can happen even to experienced computer users too.

Hopefully Ironfly can help you install Windows 7 as UEFI/GPT with secure boot disabled, but on some Acer computers, I don't think it's possible to do an EFI/GPT install of Windows 7 (for whatever reason----I don't know the reason).

Here's some bonus tips:

1. Enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS/UEFI

2.  When you boot Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installation media, if you press Shift F10 at the screen below, you'll get to a command prompt which will allow you to wipe the drive with diskpart clean  and put the HDD or SSD in an uninitialized state...which is help when switching back-n-forth between legacy mode and default UEFI mode.

inscreen.png

• jona123
    jona123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an ATC-120 UC22 and I was updating my BIOS to fix a high speed fan error. I started with bios ver P11 A2 and update to A3 with no problem. Then I updated P11 A4 and now the system can't boot up. I've gone through the various metheds of updating the BIOS, but the system never acknowledges the new bios file when booting up from a USB drive? Any suggestions? Thank you for any help!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    @jona123 please start a new thread with your question. You have a completely different computer than the original poster has and this thread is several years old. Include you full model number (TC-120-UC22), what you are seeing and what is expected instead, and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Moltexdii
    Moltexdii Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a Acer Veriton X2670G l massed up with the original Os so when l switch on the computer it doesn't comes on its stucks on logon screen even l cannot change the bios to LEGACY mode so that l can run a new windows help me with some tips please
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    You don't want Legacy mode, it hasn't been used since back in the Windows 7 days. Just got into the BIOS, disable Secure Boot, enable the F12 Boot Menu then save and exit. You should then be able to boot on a Windows install flash drive by using F12 during POST.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.