Can't disable secure boot from the BIOS | Need Help !

renewable
renewable Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

Hello!

I am having troubles with my bios because the secure boot is not showing up for me at all. I have looked everywhere but nothing at all.

I am using BIOS and not UEFI. I also have the acer aspire M5910 model. My BIOS is AMI (American Megatrends INC) 1985-2010.

Here are couple of pictures from my BIOS settings:

Bios menu

Bios Menu.JPG

Product Information

rsz_product_information (1).jpg

Standard CMOS Features

Standard CMOS Features.JPG

Advanced BiOS Features

Advanced BIOS Features.JPG

Advanced Chipset Features

Advanced Chipset Features.JPG

integrated Peripherals

Integrated peripherals.JPG

Power Management Setup

Power Management Setup.JPG

PC Health Status

Pc Health Status.JPG

Frequency/Voltage Control

FrequencyVoltage Control.JPG

Bios Security Features

Supervisor password.JPG

When i change the supervisor password i get thisChanged password.JPG

The security option have these options

rsz_security_option.jpg

If you need more information please let me know!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I don't work for Acer.  But let me give you an unofficial, approximate timeline for secure boot.

Acer first started shipping desktop computers that had a UEFI that supported secure boot around August/September of 2012 when Windows 8 was released.

From August 2012 to late 2013, desktop computers that came pre-installed with Windows 8 had a UEFI with secure boot capability and it was enabled.  Those same desktops that came pre-installed with Windows 7 most likely had a different UEFI with no secure boot capability during that same time period.

Most any desktops that were shipped from late 2013 to present have secure boot capability (including desktops that came pre-installed with Windows 7----although it would have been disabled by default for Windows 7 computers since Windows 7 doesn't support secure boot).

Your desktop computer seems older than August 2012 so I'm guessing it doesn't support secure boot.  And that's probably the reason that you can't find it----because it doesn't exist in your UEFI/BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • devstringx
    devstringx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings. Find the Secure Boot setting, and if possible, set it to Disabled. This option is usually in either the Security tab, the Boot tab, or the Authentication tab. Install the graphics card, hardware, or operating system that's not compatible with Secure Boot

How do I disable secure boot in BIOS?
    1) Hold down the Shift key and click Restart.
    2) Click Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Start-up Settings → Restart.
    3) Tap the F10 key repeatedly (BIOS setup), before the “Startup Menu” opens.
    4) Go to Boot Manager and disable the option Secure Boot.

Hope this information is useful for you. 
This discussion has been closed.