XB271HU Random Blinking - G-sync issue

Options
DOC98
DOC98 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2018 Archives

Hi,

Recently I have noticed a random but rare blinking of the screen blinking black for like a split second. Could this be a fault with G-sync as disabling GSync so far tonight have not noticed any blinking anymore? 

Have tried swapping cables and adapters. Even a new one piece DP-MiniDP cable from Amazon. No fix.

Tried swapping monitors to a non G-sync monitor tested on DVI and DP and did not notice flickers.

Thats what clued me into G-Sync as other monitor was missing it. Turning G-sync on and off in Nvida control panel causes screen to immediately Blink or flicker reproducing effect.

Anyhow now running 2 hours with G-sync off and No blinking. 

System specs:

MSI X99A godlike

Evga KPE 980 Ti's in SLI (not sure if it blinked before SLI)

Acer Predator XB271HU via Displayport to MiniDP adapter.

1200 watt corsair Axi PSU

Thanks

Answers

• damstr
    damstr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Why are you using a mini dp to dp cable instead of the fullsize one?

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options

I'm using a mini-dp adapter because my video card has only one dvi port, and three mini-dp ports. No full size ports.

Anyhow to Acer: This has got to be the worst and poorest designed site I have ever been to. It is difficult to navigate and a pain to login especially on the forum. Fire your web designer fast!

• Tilde88
    Tilde88 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

The problem is not your cable, or GPU or drivers or anything. ACER used bad panels in their high-end monitors, and they will not fix it.  Read all the other threads about flickering... 

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options

Well I think I fixed it by setting the over drive mode on the monitor to normal maybe. All I can say is I narrowed down the source of the issue to G-Sync and I have not noticed any random flickering since what ever I did which I cant say 100% if it fixed it.. 

Time will tell.

• Tilde88
    Options

It is not GSync related nor is it OverDrive related. It is very sporadin, so you are just telling yourself its fixed to make you feel better. It will come back.

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options

At least I bought extended warranty though microcenter.

• cj1337
    cj1337 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

so?

that will not fix anything, the monitor inherently has that problem. How should extended warranty help with that?

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options
    I think the extended warranty allows going with another brand or at least after almost two years a newer release of the same panel with updated firmware. I have read that both Asus and Acer have their share of firmware bugs with their respective high end panel. I actually first bought the Asus version but it had that pixel bug so I returned it. Pleased with the Acer though overall. I swear though by turning off gsync the problem goes away, Feels like I'm slightly short cganged though turning it off. Thanks.
  • cj1337
    Options

It will occur again. Its so random that you just havent had it since switching it off. Sometimes you have 5+ flickers a day, sometimes you have none, whence your perception. Give it time and it will occur again. Also due to the mere presence of the gsync module you are limited to 8 bit colour, while every single other monitor on the market in that segment offers true 10 bit colour!

Btw the problem even occurs via HDMI, even in full HD far away from the max resolution the monitor can display.

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options
    I noticed I couldn't go beyond 8 bit color. Couldn't figure out why. Does turning off G-Sync allow greater color bit depth? Anyhow I have noticed multiple flickers in the past. Swear it would happen after I sat up or moved. Now I can't get it to blink at all. Weird.
  • Tilde88
    Options

Read this post about the false advertising for 10bit. It can't output 10bit, ever.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Monitors/XB321HK-Weird-Artifact/m-p/479308#M4255

• DOC98

Tinkerer

Options

Wonder if the PG279Q has the same issues??

• cj1337
    Options

The Asus PG278Q does, there are quite a few threads about it. Not sure about 279

• Jozef_Taktyka
    Jozef_Taktyka Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the exact thing yesterday. The monitor started to blink randomly while playing games. After some testing I figured out that turning off G-sync fixes the problem. So I started standard procedure like turning off-on G-sync/monitor , rebooting PC but nothing helped. And then by accident I have found a solution, at least for me. What I did was:

1. Turn off G-sync
    2. Unplug DP cable from my PC while the monitor was turned on
    3. Plug in the DP cable
    4. Turn on G-sync

And suddenly blinking stopped, even after rebooting the PC. I'm using standard DP cable that was shipped with the monitor.

I hope it will help someone.

Cheers
  • Alexfire93
    Alexfire93 Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Options
    I had the exact thing yesterday. The monitor started to blink randomly while playing games. After some testing I figured out that turning off G-sync fixes the problem. So I started standard procedure like turning off-on G-sync/monitor , rebooting PC but nothing helped. And then by accident I have found a solution, at least for me. What I did was:

1. Turn off G-sync
    3. Plug in the DP cable
    4. Turn on G-sync

And suddenly blinking stopped, even after rebooting the PC. I'm using standard DP cable that was shipped with the monitor.

Cheers

Yeah this works, thanks for the help!
  • Mevalonate
    Mevalonate Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi,

I have the same monitor. And three months after I bought it I had the same random blink to black problem which steadily got worse (and sometimes randomly got better before starting to randomly blink again which made troubleshooting loads of fun)

After trying everything from drivers to the suggestions above, I replaced the displayport cable that came with the monitor and have been trouble free for the last 2 weeks.

Obviously this won't solve your problem if you are also having issues with HDMI, but other forums posting this same issue have also had it resolved by replacing the DP cable.

Good luck all.
  • FourFingers
    FourFingers Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

1. Turn off G-sync
    3. Plug in the DP cable
    4. Turn on G-sync

Cheers

THANK YOU!! I spent ages trying to sort this out. Sometimes the old 'plug it out and in again' solution is the best. :)