i cannot re-install WIN8.1 onto my Acer desktop type AG3620

STL
STL Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I don't know how I managed exactly but the boot sector of windows is corrupt.

It's starting into recovery mode always,resulting into 0XC00000E error at startup.

starting into safe mode etc is not possible anymore

I do have a start DVD with win8.1,following optins didn't work out into the menu of the repair disk of WIN8.1:

- reinstalling from an installation point is not working, i had a valid bakcup but he couldn't re^-install to that point

- repair system didn't work out

- repair startup didn work out

- re-install system didn't work out, it started to install but finally I got to the same window pc recovery

I tried to fix a corrupt EFI bootloader partition via prompt command on this website

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

but not working.

now I'm out of ideas, the only thing what I didn'"t try is oging back to factory default but I dodn't want to loose my personal files

any ideas?

thx!

Steven

Answers

• STL

additionally I have done the action chddsk for different drives

c: and also for the recovery partition and ESP partition after linking them via diskpart with a drivee letter

didn't helped either

strange is that even re-installing again is resulting into the original failure windpw PC recovery with same message

0XC000000E

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

from the bootable DVD, select command prompt and run this strings:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • STL

hi Ace, thx for the hint. this action indeed i also did as it was part of the page I found on the internet.

I could execute the commands, but it didn't help.

the recovery page again came

• IronFly

Ok, at this point the main goal is to retrieve your personal data, 2 options:

1.  unplug the HDD from your AG3620 and connect it to another PC using an USB dongle or dock
    2.  boot from a Live Linux distro and browse on windows folder about your personal data; Lubuntu can be a good choice (it's a light version of Ubuntu), you need the x64 version (64bit) to be able to boot under UEFI settings on BIOS:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/yakkety/release/lubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso

once downloaded the iso file, use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive and then choose to use the Live  linux feature, don't install it!

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

set Rufus as on its website screenshot

• STL

hi Ace, i tried option 1 via USB dongle and connect to laptop but still WIN7.

I saw the drive, went to users and tried to copy data but couldn't get acces because of security rights

allthough i'm admin onto the WIN7 laptop.

Tried to play with security settings but still could'tn get acces to the folder.

something obvious I oversaw here ?

About 2th option, good idea thx for the link will try tomorrow

• IronFly
  • STL

hi Ace,

i tried to change the security settings via icacls but unfortunately I don't have acces to folder, neither if I try via prompt or via the software tooling. it seems I just don't have acces even to change the settings

the drive is containing 2 types of paritions, the files of the other partition I'm able to copy or read.

this partition not. it's bacause it's partition where windows is installed or it's a windows oflder (users)?

Grtz,Steven

• STL

hi Ace, will try again. my acount is telling I'm admin, but when I go to config details it's a normal acount. will create a dedicated acount and redo things...

• STL

hi Ace, ok have to ask you again sorry...

lubuntu is starting up fine, but does not recognize the good information on the origiginal disk.

if i take other drive via the swapping harddrive it's working

so I swapped the sata cable that was conencted to to the swapping harddrive and conneted to the original drive but no luck...

strange since the original drive is recognized via USB / Esata dongle when connecting to WIN7 laptop...

any proposal?

• IronFly

i forgot that Ubuntu doesn't like NTFS but you can do it with a little help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

PCManFM in Lubuntu. Simply look in the left pane of the file manager for the partition you wish to mount and click on it - it will be mounted and its contents will show up in the main pane. Partitions show with their labels if labelled, or their size if not.