Acer Predator 17 G5-793 M2 ssd upgrade?

predator17
predator17 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, I just bought Acer Predator 17 G5-793-72AU about 1 month ago...it has (stock loaded) ONLY 1 M2 slot with 256G Samsung ssd (MZNLN256HMHQ-00000) for OS and 1 HDD 1TB 5400rpm Toshiba for data.  

I decided to upgrade M2 ssd to Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe interface, but Samsung 950 Pro was not detected in bios at all after ssd installed.  Do I need to enable certain options in bios to detect this ssd?  (Or) for this model/motherboard only supports ssd with sata3?  Any options?  Please advise.  Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the default M.2 SSD has a SATA3 interface, so i probably G5 only supports SATA3 but i'm asking informations.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • predator17

Thank you IronFly for your help

• predator17

Hi IronFly, pleaase find attached some info about my laptop:

Mainboard Serial Number: NBQ1A11001*********

Also the picture of the back fof service panel

G5_793_72U_back_panel.JPG

HWinNf064_info.JPG

Please let me know if you need more info.  Thanks in advance.

• IronFly

hang tight, i will ask help to my friend Laurent_14

• predator17

Thank you IronFly

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,019 Trailblazer

Hi predator17,

This motherboard comes from G9-793 and is installed in G9-593 and G5-793. This M.2 slot supports SATA 3.0 or PCIe X4 but no information about NVMe interface. All models shipped with this motherboard have SSD M.2 SATA 3.0. So I think there is a bios limitation for G5-793 since some G9-593 or G9-793  models are shipped with SSD M.2 PCIE 3.0 NVMe.

FYI, I have more and more difficulty to find the correct specifications.Smiley Frustrated

For example, G9-793 (probably the same motherboard):

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-17-G9-793-775G-quot-SSD-upgrade-quot-help/m-p/475918#M2381

France
  • predator17

Thank you Laurent_14 for your help

• laurent_14

You're welcome but honestly I'm sorry about this bios limitation. I don't understand why! No interest. It's the same motherboard but not the same specifications.

France
  • destruya
    destruya Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

So in other words, someone needs to poke around the G9's BIOS, find the microcode that allows for NVMe operation, then transplant said code into the G5's BIOS for unofficial NVMe support.  It does seem incredibly petty to purposely remove NVMe support from the 'base' model's BIOS, so I'm hoping that isn't the case here. Smiley Indifferent

I've been watching these forums rather closely, since I'm recommending the G5-793 to a friend who's looking to upgrade from her old clunker, and I want to ensure she gets the best value, since she'll probably be using this laptop for 3-5+ years.  Her old laptop doesn't even have an SATA III SSD, so anything would be an upgrade to her, but I'd love to tell her that she could drop in an NVMe drive when they get even more affordable.

While I'm here, can any of you G5-793 owners confirm that the G5 has the same 'easy access' hatch for the M.2/2.5"/DIMM slots that the G9 does?  All I can find on Google Image Search is the underside of the G9.

EDIT: It also seems like there's a new BIOS out as of 12/21 that 'enables G-Sync': http;//global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.08_A_A.zip?acerid=636178849339209966&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G5-793&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

[edited to comply with guidelines - disabled auto-download]

• destruya

Tinkerer

It can't be the *exact* same motherboard, Laurent - the G9 has twin-stacked M.2 slots to the G5's single slot.

• IronFly

mainboard PCB it's the same, they just took off a M.2 connector.

• laurent_14

Hi destruya,

It can't be the *exact* same motherboard, Laurent - the G9 has twin-stacked M.2 slots to the G5's single slot.

Are you sure? Smiley Happy You should have a look at this message about G9-793 with a single slot:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-17-G9-793-775G-quot-SSD-upgrade-quot-help/m-p/475918#M2381

France
  • Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

This is the g5-793 motherboard

We even have the subwoofer connector hidden under a tape

I wander is a ahci m.2 ssd would be detected..anyone can test a samsung sm951 ahci version?

This should be far better then a sata 3 ssd but still compatible with non NVMe systems.

g5-793

• destruya

Tinkerer

Believe it or not, they're selling the Subwoofer module on Jet for ~$15.  Just search for Predator 17.

• Terryalexa301
    Terryalexa301 Member Posts: 5 New User

I've just bought an M.2 NVMe SSD for my predator 17 G9-793 laptop. Can you tell me if this model laptop supports booting from NVMe SSD's, or will I need a BIOS patch? The card is M.2-2280 x4 Lane socket. I know the laptop has this M.2 socket which accepts NVMe SSD.

Has Acer updated the BIOS to support boot from NVMe SSD's?

EDIT: Sorry I posted G5-793 instead of G9-793

• Daedronus

Since you already purchased the SSD please let us know if it works when it arrives.

• lissacoffey
    lissacoffey Member Posts: 6 New User
    the default M.2 SSD has a SATA3 interface,I think there is a bios limitation for G5-793 since some G9-593 or G9-793 models are shipped with SSD M.2 PCIE 3.0 NVMe.
  • alex2k17
    alex2k17 Member Posts: 5 New User

So anyone found out yet what is the best option to upgrade the "stock" m.2 SATAIII ssd that comes with the predator G5-793 ? Can we get speeds like 2000+ mb/s Heart ?

• Daedronus

1 beg acer to unlock nvme? I opened a thread in the idea forum, you guys can post here and ask for nvme.

2 we have 3 (potentially 4) sata III ports, we can raid

-the default m.2 slot, the hdd slot, the ODD slot we can get the ODD adapter, a HDD caddy

- find the part number for the missing m.2 slot and get a friend that is handy with a solder gun to solder the slot.

3 sata drivers in raid 0 mean 1500MB/s, quite a lot.

• Va13n
    Va13n Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Predator 17 G5-793,  supports Samsung 960 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD i tried it works without a problem