Predator 17 G9-793-775G "SSD upgrade" help

Options
shadowcaz
shadowcaz Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi guys,

I have tried searching and looking through the manual on my newly purchased Predator 17 G9-793-775G but cannot find any information on the free M.2 SSD slot. The laptop comes with a pre-installed 128 GB SSD. I would like to put in a 256 or 512 GB SSD for all my games. 

Can you please confirm:

• Socket key on spare slot:
    • B
    • M
    • B+M
  • M.2 SSD Length that can be put in spare slot:
    • 22110 (it looks like the spare slot would be this length as it seems longer then the pre installed SSD?)
  • M.2 SATA or M.2 PCI-Express (2x or 4x)

This is a pic from a website that has the same model. You can put another M.2 SSD ontop of the existing one but what type/size is the question....

UPDATE - turns out the model i have does not have a 2nd m.2 slot Smiley Sad

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Hmmm... Normally you should have 2x M.2 slots.

• Socket CON5102: M.2 2280 B&M (NVMe supported) - SATA 3.0/PCIe X4
    • Socket CON5103: M.2 2280 B&M - SATA 3.0

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • shadowcaz
    shadowcaz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi,

NHQ1AEK001 - hope that helps. I did open the service panel, as you can see it does not have a 2nd slot:

SSD.png

This is in comparison to this pic i found online for the same model - which has a second slot:

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Thanks for your information. That would be interesting to know the motherboard part number.

You'll be able to find  the first ten characters of your motherboard in using HWiNFO portable version:

Launch HWiNFO> Expand Motherboard> Expand SMBIOS DMI> Click on Mainboard> Post the first ten characters of Mainboard Serial Number located in the left column.

France
  • Predator_baba33
    Predator_baba33 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello,

I have a same motherboard in my G9-793-78HM (NH.Q1AEF.002) because I have only 1 M2 slot
    So, I would like to Know if this single M2 slot supports NVMe ? Because i would like to put Samsung SM961

Thank you in advance
  • EmperorBorg
    EmperorBorg Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

I manufactured my own clamp to use a standard 80M2 on the longer slot.

I am yet to find a cable so I can add a HDD. Would of been nice if the notebook would of been delivered with one.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi Predator_baba33,

You'll find a mark located near the M.2 socket. Normally it would be CON5102:

• Socket CON5102: M.2 2280 B&M (NVMe supported) - SATA 3.0/PCIe X4
    France
  • Predator_baba33
    Predator_baba33 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thank you very much for your answer.

I really looked and I got a mark wich is effectively CON5102.
    I'am very happy to know that it supports NVMe because I ordered Samsung SM961.

I'il make benchmarks as soon as I get it.

Thanks again laurent_14
  • Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Just buy a ssd that supports m+b key. The 2nd slot needs a 22110 length ssd type, but the most common length is 2280. What i did i just improvised and worked fine. If you can't buy the bracket for the 2280 ssd well you can use other materials that you commonly find in your house holds. 😊
    Just cut a 1 inch width by 2 inches length scotch tape and a 4mm thick foam or rubber pad and just see the photo I've provided. 😉