What is the BIOS for GateWay Laptop (T-6345U)

romrae
romrae Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have a GateWay Laptop, model T-6345U. The system info shows:

1/  that the O/S is Windows 7 Ultimate N

2/  that the BIOS Version/Date is 89.29, 3/30/2009

3/  the SMBIOS Version as 2.4.

This forum, however, has a download for a BIOS version of  89.91.24. When I check the "Read Me" file in the download for compatibly, Model T-6345U is not listed there. In fact, the nmber stop at T-6327c and then jumps

to T-6801m.

My Questions: 

1/  Is BIOS version  "89.91.24" the same as BIOS Version/Date is "89.29, 3/30/2009" ?

2/  What tool would I use to load the BIOS data unto my computer ?

Thank very much guys.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Unless the machine clearly exhibits a bios-related issue, trying to flash it with a possibly incompatible bios version is NOT recommended. It could *brick* the machine. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • romrae

Tinkerer

Thanks for the info on how to d/l the BIOS S/W. 

I tried flashing the BIOS via Windows but without any success -- I keep getting an error message.  So I have decided to do it with a Bootable Flash Drive. 

I would like to know which of the files, from the Unzipped floder, should I load on to the Bootable Flash Drive in order to get the job done?

Thanks much.

• JackE

Do you have an issue(s) or problem(s) with the machine that you feel are related to its current bios firmware? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

which kind of error are you facing?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • romrae

Tinkerer

Thanks IronFly and JackE for taking the time to respond to my request.

IronFly:

After opening WinPhlash and clicking on Flash BIOS, I get the following error:

Cannot Load Driver C:\ Users\Desktop\BIOS_Gateway_89.91.24_Windows\PHLASHNT.SYS

Please check your account, if you have no administrator privilages, please login again!

Access denied

Error Code:5

JackE:

This is a copy of the post I did some time ago:

"I need the BIOS for My Gateway T-63 series Lap Top.

I have a Gateway T-63 series Lap Top. The Mother Board part # is: ACEH-40GAB1700-F605.
    The serial # is: V94DM03707.

I tried contacting Gateway but the information (Serial #) that the system is asking for in order to attend to my request is scratched off the bottom of my Lap Top.  So, I am unable to Download a copy of the BIOS that i need.

I am having problems with;
    1)  the fan constantly racing
    2)  the computer running slow
    3)  the CPU is constantly running between 55% and 75%

The computer was working quite well until my daughter started to use it.

I have;
    1) cleaned the whole cooling assembly and applied fresh
        Heat sink Compound
    2) along with doing other checks that various sources on
        the web recommend.
    3) I have also replaced the Hard Drive; The laptop was
        ok for about two days afterwards  and then the problem returned.

It was suggested that I should re-flash the BIOS but as I mentioned before, I am unable to download a copy from the Gateway Web site.

I am soliciting the help of this community to help solve this problem.

Thank you very much"

Guys, I am relying on your help. Thanks.

• JackE

To get your system's serial number that was scratched off the label, go to the command prompt. Then enter "wmic bios get serialnumber" but without the quotes.

>>>It was suggested that I should re-flash the BIOS >>>

Where did this suggestion come from?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

>>>3)  the CPU is constantly running between 55% and 75%>>>The computer was working quite well until my daughter started to use it.>>>

More questions. Open task manager. Show processes from all users. Which process or processes seem to be consuming a lot of CPU resources? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• romrae

Tinkerer

JackE

This is what I see;

SVCHOST.EXE              SYSTEM (User Name)         50% (CPU)    this toggles between 49% and 50%

SYSTEM IDLE P.....      SYSTEM (User Name)         50% (CPU)    this also toggles between 49% and 50%

Some of the others move but only to 1% and then back to  0%

• JackE

Try this. Open file Explorer to any folder. Click the view menuitem. If any file icons are selected, select file list or file details instead. Then click the tools menuitem. Then folder options. Then view. The box where thumbnails are never shown should be checkmarked. Then apply this view to all folders. Then apply to close the window. Then do a cold boot again. After Windows has fully loaded, check task manager SVCHost processes again.  If all is well, the SystemIdle process should be consuming most of the CPU time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ