Predator 21X Pre-Order Date

JLBatman
JLBatman Member Posts: 8 New User

The rumor mill has stated for a long time that it would be December, but maybe as late as January, for pre-orders on the Predator 21x. I would like to know an updated actual timeline for when pre-orders go live as well as how long before shipment would start. I'm in the market to update to the latest and greatest, and it's taking every ounce of my willpower to wait for this. I've literally googled "Predator 21x News" every day for the last 2 and a half months. Sad, I know, but true none the less.

Thanks!

Answers

• GoldieHYX
    GoldieHYX Member Posts: 13 New User

The Acer Global Facebook had said "with these specs, the predator 21x is out for the world"

AND that link after this message, doesn't say anything about the specs. like what specs????

Acer can you update something about the laptop. I was googling news about the laptop last 2 months and now Acer only changed the website a little bit and having less information than before

• laptopenthuiast
    laptopenthuiast Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter

its a big shame acer21x apparently will come out with soldered graphics card and cpu = no upgrade option in future and technology will only last half year before new graphics card come out again GTX 2080N.

i think it comes with 7820HK (soldered), two GTX 1080N (soldered) and 4 pcie SSDs with 4 ram slots (non soldered).  it sucks we can't upgrade at all and if new graphics or cpu come out we have to buy a brand new laptop very annoying.

• GoldieHYX

You know that doesn't matter it is soldered or not, you can't upgrade the GPU either way right? Because you can't buy laptop graphics card from market. All those companies are not selling laptop GPU on the market. So it is strange that so many people complain about the soldered CPU and GPU when you can't even buy them anyway.

• laptopenthuiast

actually, you can, i buy them many times from ebay and upgrade myself the year after. not able to buy them and upgrade yourself is what these companies want you to think so you'll be forced to buy a new laptop whenever u want the latest and it is not acceptable imho.

also by doing soldering you're also kinda forced to buy costly warranty for however long you feel comfortable.  out of entire computer motherboard has highest chance prone to failure. motherboard break = good bye GPU and CPU, replacing just the mother board means you pay for new GPU/CPU, i aint doing that. all DIY BABY.

• GoldieHYX

I really did not know that. feels educated now man. Could you tell me what's your key word for searching those GPUs for laptops? I tried to search it on ebay but all the results are showing the desktop GPUs or laptops, instead of GPU of laptops.

• JLBatman

You search for MXM modules. Laptops like the MSI titan series have allowed that as long as the cards have been MXM architecture.

• JLBatman

I've stopped waiting for this because they just aren't providing new information. I opted for the top of the line origin with everything overclocked.

• laptopenthuiast

I was searching pretty hard too because less and less laptops have socket machine allow upgrade capability.  MSI Titan GT83VR has a soldered CPU however it has two MXM socket GPUs.

out of the latest, there is only one laptop that now offers non-soldered CPU and GPUs and thats clevo P870DM3. clevo has known to use desktop processors and socket MXM only for their flag ship laptop and its very good. even if intel restrict CPU upgrade with their chipset, you are able to still upgrade to a later version if you didn't buy the most expensive ones from the start where as soldered laptop won't have that option.

take a look at notebookreview forum:

GT83VR

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt83vr-titan-sli-owners-lounge-nvidia-gtx-1080s.794897/

P870DM3

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-p870dm2-p870dm3-sager-np9873-np9872-owners-lounge-the-phoenix-2-is-here.794530/

if people continue to buy soldered hardware, eventually this will become common sense and used against us consumers and no more option to buy and upgrade yearly if we want the latest/greatest.

• laptopenthuiast

its hard to search for keyword nowadays because laptop graphics now from nvidia has same performance. on some forum people like to call it 980N *large N for notebook but desktop performance class. or 1080N however nvidia releases them just call it 980/1080 same as what they call desktop cards.

basically just type in MXM 1080 or 980 on ebay and hope u find them, or simply go to rjtech/eurocom/ hidevolution to buy card off from them. assuming you have unlocked bios and upgrade capable, which some of the high end flag ship laptop have people help supporting them on notebookreview forum.

• GoldieHYX

Thank your for teaching me all this.

• GoldieHYX

Actually the reason I wanted to buy Predator 21x is because it doesn't have 4K screen. I have bought 8 laptops from last 3 years and I'm trying to stay with one for a while since I wasted so much money on them.

If 21x has 4k screen then I would assum that it won't be able to hold ultra setting for games after a year. So I actually do like it is ultrawide but not 4k. The only shame thing is that it has everything but 75hz (or 120hz) screen. That bothers me a lot.

Do you know anyway or anyone can upgrade screen like in this case?

• JLBatman

Your concerns were exactly mine when I was looking for alternatives. Originally, the Predator was going to be my choice because of this. I've uncovered two things, however, that really helped alleviate this concern for me.

First, with even beautiful games, dual 1080s are capable of pulling more than 60 frames on ultra settings and that's including putting AA on. However, when you are talking resolutions that high, AA (a big frame rate sync) is literally a waste of resources on most screens because you are pushing so many pixels that you don't need your system to resample or brush them up in any way. AA was designed for lower resolution textures to look smoother and less jagged. When you are running 4k, that's not even something to waste time with. I frankly can't tell a difference on the laptop monitor when it is on vs off. 

So if that's the case, then your 4k monitor is going to be fine with a dual 1080 for quite a while. New consoles aren't going to be coming out any time soon that will cause it to push past the power of two of those cards, and those are the primary industry driver for requiring new hardware. 

Next - when I'm at home, personally, I'm not using a 4k monitor. I use a 34" 3.5k (that's how I refer to it, anyway) and it can right now play almost everything at that resolution at 50 to 60 frames with two 980Ms. Which means I'm nearly at ultra on everything there, and a 1080 is worth more than 2 980Ms. You can see where I'm going with this. I'll have no problem pushing anything out there for quite a while at that resolution. The take home lesson is this - if you are like me and when you are home use an external monitor a lot, than whatever resolution you push there is probably more important than what sits on your laptop itself anyway.

Back to the upgrades. I admit - I wanted the MXM design so I could swap out cards. However, even though my current laptop can do upgrades, I can't switch to the 1080s because they didn't honor the MXM architecture requirements. As such, I'm upgrading the whole schlameel anyway. And when it comes time for me to upgrade again in a few years, my wife will be getting my 4k 1080 SLI laptop and I'll need a whole new one for myself.

• GoldieHYX

Man, thank you for replying but my point is not about the setting (or the frame rates) because I know 1080 SLI can hold ultra in gaming for a while. But I wanna upgrade the 60hz screen. There is a obvious difference that I can see between 60hz screen and above 75hz screen, everything goes much much smoother when it is 75+hz screen. I just wanna know if anywhere can upgrade laptop screens like in this case. (not about the resolution)

It doesn't matter how much frame rates I got in games even with 200 fps, 60hz is 60hz, that's 2 different things.

• JLBatman

Oh ok, sorry man. You are 100% right about that. 60hz definitely is a limit for those 17inch 4k monitors, at least near as I can tell.

The thing is - I don't believe Predator will have anything beyond 75, if we are lucky enough to get that. Just not enough information is flying around about it. 

Though you could just get a monitor at the refresh you'd like... Course that only helps you when you are playing at home, but throwing it out there because I personally use an external monitor when I'm not traveling for work, and it basically limits me in refresh as well because it is only a 60hz. Maybe you could use a better one than me as your at home alternative. Either way, I understand you now and see what you are saying.

• GoldieHYX

Don't be sorry, thank you for all the information you have gave me.

• JLBatman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

9k? Starting?

The difference between that rig and the one I ordered is 4 inches of screen and 4 thousand dollars. Ya, that's a no-go. Wow, goodness gracious.

But for real, thank you for linking an update onto this! 

• GoldieHYX

NVM

• GoldieHYX

9k, and it is real? Acer is trying to be a total joke. I wonder how many people would buy it then, it was not a lot when the price was $5000. and now 9k lol. DIY desktop only needs 2.5k for dual 1080

[inappropriate content removed]

• JLBatman

I hope you are right, but that page didnt look like a fake news type. 

Guess we will find out soon. =)

Though I will be surprised if it is 5k on the button, because that monitor is not mass produced for multiple brands, so it will cost more than just the difference between a 18inch and a 21 inch screen would via normal fiscal increases. I figured it would be a solid 6k.