65-793-72AU Add optical drive?

Options
neagle392
neagle392 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

We just got my dad a new laptop for Christmas because his old gateway FX was 8+ years old and crashed again. Rather than fixing it again, We bought the Predator 17 65-793-72AU locally from Micro Center. 

I don't know what happened, I am not sure if the store had the wrong model predator on display, or if I just missed something..... But one of the MAIN reasons that we went with this laptop is because I thought that it had an optical drive. My dad still uses his for stuff, and he was dissapointed when he realized that most laptops don't have them anymore.

Fast forward to today. He is obviously happy about the laptop. And im sitting here explaining how it has a cd drive still etc.... and he tries to open it........ Smiley Sad . That is when I realized that this particular model DOES NOT have an optical drive, just a blank spot that looks exactly like a drive (with the exception of no button to open it). 

Im pretty bummed out. I would rather install the drive myself if possible, instead of driving 40 minutes back to microcenter and returning the laptop. The specs on this laptop were PERFECT, and the price was great. The G9 is way out of the price-range, especially when we don't need the added specs (just the optical drive). 

Can I purchase the predator optical drive somewhere and install it? I am pretty computer savy, build all my own PC's, have a degree in networking etc. But I can't seem to find anything about it online. 

Really bummed out here, to say the least Smiley Sad 

Answers