I had to replace a bulging C720 battery (AP13J4K) -- acer folks, do you care?

jmsachs
jmsachs Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My chromebook (purchased January 2014 so it's just under 3 years old) works great, but the battery gradually bulged outwards until the outer case was obviously deformed and it was clear that something was wrong. I replaced the battery with another AP13J4K and it works fine.

(Initial symptoms were probably 6 months ago, that the trackpad click was harder to press over time; initially I thought it was just the trackpad wearing out, but after replacing the battery, the trackpad click works very well.)

To any Acer folks reading this:

- thanks for making your Chromebook with a replaceable battery that is easy to replace!

- do you care about the bulging battery? I have no idea if this is normal; I would think not, because it is using the charger that came with my Chromebook.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. This is not the experience we want our customers have. We would like to help you get this resolved. Please send me a private message and we'll see what we can do to help you.

• D4c
    D4c Member Posts: 1 New User

Our school district appears to have a couple of C720 batteries that are swollen or bulging.  One was found because the touchpad was reported as not working.

What should I be doing with these?

• Nes
    Nes Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Acer anybody,

Can you tell me how to replace my bulging battery too? My chromebook is the Acer C720.

• megsdad
    megsdad Member Posts: 1 New User

No, they do not seem to care.  I have a C720 that I aquired two years ago as a refurb (appeared to be new in box) that has developed a bulging battery over the last two months with a deformed case and a neutered trackpad .  No spare parts are available (other than through the likes of eBay).

Really feel let down.

• C720-Customer
    C720-Customer Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm facing the same swollen battery problem as described in this thread.  It happened about 6 months ago after owning this laptop for over 2 years.  The touchpad click button stopped working but the laptop is still fully functional.  I kept using the laptop with an USB mouse connected and didn't think much about the fact that it was the swollen battery that caused the bulge under the touchpad area.  A few days ago, I was watching some news about iPhone 8's swollen battery problem that caused the body of the phone and the screen to separate and crack open.  That's when I realized I have been using the laptop in an unsafe manner.  It's like a ticking time bomb and a disaster waiting to happen.  Luckily the battery hasn't exploded like Samsung Galaxy Note 7.  After doing some researches online, it seems there are lots of people reporting the same issue.  This is a safety concern and I don't know why Acer, as a reputable company, has not proactively inform customers about this issue and offer solutions.  I'd like to know what I can do with this laptop at this point as it's out of warrenty.  The laptop has been working great and I'd like to continue to be able to use it. 

• mtalbert63
    mtalbert63 Member Posts: 2 New User
    We have developed the swollen battery on our Acer C720 Chromebooks. We own over 100 of these devices and now have 25 with this swollen battery. I contacted Acer support to which I was transferred about five times. They are unwilling to do anything for us. The solution that they gave me was to send the device back to Acer for a $140 repair. That makes zero sense for a school district. I realize these things are out of warranty and I am asking not complete replacement, but I believe that Acer should accept some responsibility for this problem. It is obviously widespread and a defect from Acer's battery. I even asked about purchasing replacement batteries from Acer to which I was told that was not an option. 

We will not purchase any more chromebooks from Acer if this is the support that we will receive. At no point in time can you expect school districts to continue to use batteries that are swollen with gas and in danger of explosion. You also cannot expect a school district to pay $140 to repair a device that cost $200 three years ago.

If you are thinking of purchasing the a new chromebook from Acer, I would look elsewhere! 

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. This is not the experience we want our customers have. We would like to help you get this resolved. Please send me a private message and we'll see what we can do to help you.

• C720-Customer
    C720-Customer Member Posts: 2 New User
    I suggest we should all file a report to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission so that Acer can take this issue seriously.

I sent a private message more than a month ago and received 0 response.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited December 2017

Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems, I have sent a PM requesting the information that I need so I can follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Person
    Person Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also just noticed my c720 is very swollen in the middle. With all the stories in the news about lithium batteries catching on fire, is this something I need to be worried about? I normally keep this laptop next to my bed!
  • systemBuilder
    systemBuilder Member Posts: 3 New User
    Sorry to hear about your battery problems.  The batteries really are trivial to replace.  They are available for $32 (new, retail) on EBay, or $25 in volume on Alibaba.  Just remove the 12 screws on the back, undo the battery screws, put in your new battery, and put it all back together.  It's a 5-minutes repair, a child can do it, I hope you will attempt it.
  • typesandy
    typesandy Member Posts: 1 New User
    My acer ZenBook has started to have a bulging mouse pad and keyboard.  I called Acer and explained that I never use the existing keyboard or mouse as I use an external mousepad and keyboard.  They were not receptive.  I also explained that in February it will be barely two years.  Also, no response.  I use this as a home user and only very rarely.  I wish Acer had better customer service.  They told me they could do nothing for me to mail it in and "see what they could do".   They should bend over backwards for their customers instead of not acknowledging their concerns or dismissing their concerns of a very rarely used laptop.  Shame on you 
  • joeben
    joeben Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am running across the "swollen syndrome" in Acers in my school district as well. Otherwise great machines are suddenly going dark and we don't have the budget to buy parts that shouldn't be failing.  I'm a fan of the Acer CB's, but I think my boss wants to go with HP for the next batch, hoping for better longevity.  The units are 4 years old and outside of the batteries holding up well under daily student use.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I do not have a 720 but "in general" such devices do not need a battery if plugged in so could try just removing the defective ones.

Personally do not have much luck with batteries over four years old, had to replace the battery in my W3 (abut the same vintage). No big.

I show the battery to be  Sanyo or Sony AP13J Polymer 3S1P, Acer KT.00303.011 or KT.00304.001.

This  may be a source but have not used them.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi C720-Customer - we are on the best interest to assist you. According to our conversation history, last time you replied to me you said that an agent called you and left a voice message because you're unable to answer the call. The agent left you a phone number to call back, please call at your earliest convenience for better assistance. 

Person - If you noticed your computer battery is swollen , then yes, i will stop using it intermediately and contact your local Acer support call center.  US/Canada toll free number 1-866-695-2237 you canj also live chat with an agent https://us.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch/#_ga=2.234268126.1126117017.1520867005-748606815.1519836134

typesandy - Sorry to hear this, can you please send me a PM with your serial number so i can take a look at this case please?

joeben - We understand your concerned and we are sorry for any inconveniences cause but battery's are consumable items that have a limited cycle life, just like car batteries or any other batteries that when their usage life comes to an end, you have to find a replacement. But if your experiencing a swollen battery problem with your units, then we can try to help you the best way possible. If you please send me a PM with your contact information and serial number of the units i can help.  

Thank you all,
    Acer-Manny
  • floydwd
    floydwd Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm glad i found this post. I didn't know why the trackpad was bulging in the middle. The battery in my C720 had swollen completely, from the looks of it probably was going to explode or catch fire. I agree Acer should be taking these swollen batteries seriously before someone is injured. Maybe even be willing to reimburse customers who have replaced a bugling battery. 
  • Blamp
    Blamp Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2018
    I've just had a long Chat with a support representative.

I explained that I had the bulging battery issue, and that I was travelling.

They advised that it was not safe to travel with the laptop, but could give me no other advice than to have the battery removed at a computer shop, then send the device for repair once I got home.

They couldn't tell me how much the repair would cost.

Totally disappointed with Acer over this.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    floydwd and Blamp - Sorry to hear this, can you please send me a PM with your serial number so i can take a look at this?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
This discussion has been closed.