How to enable virtualization on my Acer Aspire E5-553

amysombie
amysombie Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2018 in Aspire Laptops

Hi, I'am a student trying to install virtual machine (Virtual Box) on my laptop. However, virtualization seems to be disabled in the BIOS, When i access to my BIOS there is no menu to enable it. It is hidden.

So,  How  can I enabled it please?

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

If there is no setting in the BIOS to enable virtualization then this feature is not supported on this model. Unfortunately there isn't a way to enable this on models that don't support virtualization.

• amysombie
    amysombie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Acer-mary. The virtualization is supported and enabled in the Cpu of my laptop. What i found during my researches is related to the fact that AMD-vt is disabled in the BIOS. However, the poor menu of BIOS given by the vendor (insydeh20) doesn't allow me to enable this option. That's is
  • Mary-Acer

Hi Amysombie

While it's correct that the hardware supports virtualization, this feature was not included in the BIOS to enable since it's not a supported feature on this model. Sorry we couldn't assist with this issue.

BR

Mary

Acer America

• joseantoniovega
    joseantoniovega Member Posts: 3 New User

I just bought this model because I want to setup a virtualization enviroment, can you return my money or change my model for a model with full support for virtualization?

• Mary-Acer

Acer is unable to offer a different model or a refund. Please contact the reseller from where you purchased the system for your return/exchange options. 

• magikfingerz
    magikfingerz Member Posts: 5 New User

I'm an IT professional who trust on Acer products to do my job, I acquired a previous model of this laptop (Aspire E5-551) and enabling virtualization was not a problem. In fact I was very satisfied and recommended acer to my job partners, that's why I acquire this new model (Aspire E5-553). To my surprise, there is no way to enable virtualization on it, even when the product is capable enough to realize it and the previous model has the option to do that. I upgraded my laptop BIOS in the hope a recent BIOS has the option to do this, but sadly, even the most recent BIOS upgrade I found (2017-04-25) hasn't this option. I see your technical team continues to improve and make BIOS upgrades to benefit consumers, so I think adding the option to enable virtualization would be possible as a part of your next BIOS upgrade, that will be a great addition to this laptop and will allow me to keep considering Acer to do my job. In the meantime, I will stay with my previous model.

• kking1276
    kking1276 Member Posts: 4 New User

That's tricky...the reseller won't take it back, it's not broken per se.

Acer literature doesn't mention this limitation/restriction anywhere. With a recent high performance processor and lots of RAM, I Iike other posters here and on the internet, was stunned that this laptop doesn't allow virtualization to be enabled.. That's deceptive.

My kid's laptop allows virtualiztion to be enabled, with a inferior processor and less memory.

Can you please request to have the setting exposed in the BIOS like it usually is in just about every other computer?
    There was a  BIOS update last week, so development is still active.

Thank you,

Kevin

• anz
    anz Member Posts: 2 New User

dear all

I have a same problem with my Aspire E5-553G-F79R (AMD-FX)

I bought this notebook because of it's virtualization support, but very disappointed that the feature is disabled in firmware, and no way to enable it (i've upgrade bios version to 1.12a with no good news).

Acer support team have to explain to all customers about this issues, and hopefully there is a way to solve this problems.

below images is response from systeminfo.exe, and as we can see (red squarebox) virtualization is disabled in firmware

virtualization-E5-553G.PNG

please anyone can help me to solve this problems? 

thanks in advance

• kking1276
    See https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Acer-Aspire-E5-553-1786?pid=127728#pid127728
    Acer should be embarrassed, the change is toggling 1bit. The hours we've wasted....
  • anz
    anz Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks kking1276 for your response.

i'll try it later, right now i'm trying to use virtualbox instead of virtual machine.

yes, agreed with you, if the solution works, acer really should be embarrassed

• Eagleizer
    Eagleizer Member Posts: 5 New User

Why this is not fixed yet is beyond me. It takes less than a minute to fix when they are already working on the BIOS. 

Are the moderators here in contact with the team that updates the BIOS, or are we talking to our selves here?

• magikfingerz

Well, I have seen some posts from moderators here and there, but just to confirm it is not possible from BIOS to change virtualization option, so it looks like we are on our own, but al least this forum exist and as I can see at least we, the community, can use it to help each other ... BTW the solution previously posted worked for my Aspire E5-553-1786, kudos to the community Smiley Happy

• Priyanshu166
    Priyanshu166 Member Posts: 2 New User

How to enable vt-x in Aspire E5-553 does any one know any way to enable this.  

• joseantoniovr
    joseantoniovr Member Posts: 1 New User

this is intel, but I posted in the comments for acer AMD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPjTFam30kc

• kking1276

There's a new bios update out, 

v1.18, 2017-06-08 with the helpful description of 'Change EC to V1.9 revision'

does anyone know if the virtualization setting has been exposed in it?

• Cashmundy
    Cashmundy Member Posts: 1 New User

This is completely insane. Acer is blithely admitting that they have marketed products which have an integral function of the CPU disabled without making that fact public, so everyone who has bought one of these things is a victim of deceptive advertising.

One thing I will certainly do is never buy an Acer product again. This is my 3rd and definitely my last one.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• rosesbyrosex
    rosesbyrosex Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

v1.19 here and still no AMD-VSin título.png

• magikfingerz

I was tired from waiting a BIOS update, so I tried this method: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Acer-Aspire-E5-553-1786?pid=127728#pid127728

and It worked for my laptop, now the AMD-V is working and I can use VirtualBox... BEWARE: This method worked for my laptop (Acer Aspire E5-553) but it is potentially dangerous if you didn't follow it carefully... make it at your own risk.

• hisyam7
    hisyam7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    We as an acer user expect the next bios update please added virtual feature. how many users are around me and all complain about it. :anguished: