Predator 17 G9-791 Choppy Graphics and High CPU Heat

Deimos
Deimos Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I purchased my Predator 17 a few months ago and haven't played games on it until a few weeks ago. I primarily work on the laptop for school and work. Things usually work fast enough that I don't notice any problems. I did have initial problems with the laptop where I would get BSODs often, but I eventually resolved the problem by disabling the driver signature enforcement.

The computer seems to throttle when I play just about any game (Civ IV, Aragami, CS:GO, Etc. [all on low graphic settings]) where it looks like microstuttering and the CPU temp is a consistent 95-98c (in game and regular usage). I've checked to make sure that the game is running on the graphics card and not on the integrated graphics. I've updated the nVidia drivers and have tried older drivers, all on a clean install. From researching in this forum and around the web, I feel that either the CPU is running to hot and it's being throttled due to temp or there's some issue with the nVidia GTX 970m itself. I've made sure that Coolsense is running and the fan speed is almost always at max speed (4600rpm). I've also tried to install games on the SDD to see if the 7200rpm HDD was the culprit, but that didn't seem to be the problem.

I'm starting to think that I'll have to send the unit in for repairs, but between school and work, I'll be hard pressed to be without a laptop for even a few days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I haven't provided enough information for help. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Deimos
    Answer ✓

Hello Everyone,

I've just received my laptop back and things are working great now after the repairs. None of the issues that I had are showing up and all games that I try run smooth as silk now. CPU temp now hangs out around 36-42 degrees celcius.

Per the service order form that came back with the unit, it apprears that they replaced the thermal module.

I hope this info helps someone else in the future and again, thank you for the advice that I received in this forum.

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Verify that the computer has adequate airflow. Check the space under, behind, and around the computer to determine if airflow is restricted. If the computer is not on a solid surface, like a desk or a table, this causes inadequate airflow under it and may cause one or both fans to turn on as well as to elevate the temperature of the computer's case.

Other reasons the computer may generate extra heat are as follows:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2354/~/why-is-my-notebook-computer-so-warm%3F#_ga=1.171653411.263337500.1415824428

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Deimos

Hello,

I was running my laptop on a hard surface desk in all cases (at both work and home) and the airflow was not restricted. The fans were working (audibly) too at 4,600 rpm constantly. A good flow of air could be felt from the exhaust in the rear. There didn't seem to be any above normal surface heat on the keyboard either.

I talked to Predator support and listed the things that I've tried to fix the issue (drivers, settings, clean installs, etc.) and was told that I've tried everything that I could. They recommended that the unit be sent in for repairs. I sent the unit in this previous Saturday (12/10/2016) and they just received it today (12/15/2016).

I'll try to make sure to provide any information about the problem once I'm notified of the root issue.

Thank you for your advice.

• Deimos
    Answer ✓

Hello Everyone,

I've just received my laptop back and things are working great now after the repairs. None of the issues that I had are showing up and all games that I try run smooth as silk now. CPU temp now hangs out around 36-42 degrees celcius.

Per the service order form that came back with the unit, it apprears that they replaced the thermal module.

I hope this info helps someone else in the future and again, thank you for the advice that I received in this forum.

• ericong8199
    ericong8199 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same problem with that my acer predator