I have an Acer Aspire 7740-6656, recently the screen turned black and i can't even get into BIOS.

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>The reason, is because the restored OS is an evaluation copy, and i don't have the product key to make it a legal copy.>>>

Hi Walter---When you pull and reseat the hard drive, memory modules, etc like that, it's usually a good idea to F2 back into the bios menu to refresh it's memory of the peripherals that were pulled just in case the cmos battery is weak.  Then F10 to save and ext the bios menu and you should be up and running again.

I'm sitll not sure why there was only an Win7 evaluation installation on the hard drive's hidden partition. Since you didn't have a product key that was ***allegedly*** needed to make it a legal copy, what precisely was wrong with the way the system operated? You might check the bottom of the machine for a windows sticker that may in fact imprinted with the product key you're looking for.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• hearwz7
    hearwz7 Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Thanks Jack, it not recognizing the 2x2GB sticks right now.  It will only recognize one 2GB stick.  I can put it in either slot and it works, but if i put them both in, nother.  It's the same witht he 4GB sticks.

Regards,

Walter

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

Weird. But since both slots seem to work individually, it seems more like a software or bios firmware issue than a hardware problem.

At any rate, I'd still like to know what limitations you experienced with the evaluation copy by not have a key? Did it prevent you from working or doing anything inside the evaluation copy? Did it prevent the operating system from loading?  Also, did you check the bottom of your machine for a Windows sticker that may have the key imprinted on it?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hearwz7
    hearwz7 Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Good morning Jack, the OS seems to be working find for what i've done on it so far, which is just surfing the internet.  If i'm not mistaken, it said it's a 90 evaluation copy.  So unless i go out and buy an copy of Windows 7, it will be rendered useless in 83 days from now.  Is it possible the OS is the culprit for the memory slots to not work.  I have 2 4GB sticks i'm planning to return unless i can correct that problem with only one 2GB stick working at a time.  My wife really likes this laptop, that's why i'm trying with your help to get it back up and running.  But i don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a legacy laptop.

To answer your question, i did check the bottom of the laptop for the product key.  The tag is still there, but the key is not ledgible.

Walter