Aspire E5-475 has 2nd HDD bay + NO sata connector - DON'T want DVD caddy, is there a Sata adaptor?

Options
Eadred
Eadred Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have recently bought an Aspire E 14 E5-475. It has a second HDD bay, but has NO Serial ATA connector!

I don't want to used a DVD Caddy.  There is a connection point labeled 'B'

Please can anyone tell me where to buy a Sata to 2.5 HDD connector that will fit?

Best Answer

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Hi myleez0,

I originally found the cable shown simply as HDD Cable, but ultimately was taken to the Acer Spare Parts site, where it was listed as suitable for Series; Aspire E5-475, Aspire E5-475G, or TravelMate P249-M. Cost Price €13.44 inc vat (£15.60 UK).  I have now fitted the cable into my Aspire E 14 E5-475 NX.GCUEK.OO1

Image 1: HDD-Bay-E5-475.jpg

I’m not prepared to remove the cable to photograph it since it’s a fiddly job to get the right-angled connector into Slot ‘B’. Understandably, now it’s in I don’t want to ever move it again. What appears to be grey-black tape, is protection covering the cable end, below that you can see a narrow strip of dark-black tape. This is actually a little tab, that allows the connector to be pulled out of Slot ‘B’. However, the connector has a built-in spring clip, so I don’t think the dark-black tape pull would survive much usage!  From the slot connector you can see a white label above it. This is stuck onto the round cable, just seen snaking round in the top right corner. This cable connects to the actual Sata Connector, which is of course pushed onto the end of my HDD.

The Drive (covered on one side with one layer only of blue insulation tape) is…

Seagate 1TB Sata 9.5mm Laptop Thin SSHD 8GB Flash Hybrid ST1000LM014

Originally I didn’t use the insulation tape and it was ok, but I later thought better safe than sorry. There is also a singly strip only covering the flat USB 2 cable, which runs right across the bay. It seems ok, and there’s no sign of any overheating.

There’s not a great deal of room in the bay and the drive fits in quite snugly and doesn’t move about. However, there is of course a small overhang of the casing at the top of the drive. I used this to advantage by inserting a small strip of foam packing (not too much), which gently traps the drive in place. The foam can just be seen peeping out in the top right corner, and below the two top notches.

HDD-Bay-E5-475.jpg 

Image 2: Package-Label-for-HDD-Cable

This is the label from the delivery pack, I don’t know if the numbers will be useful. I bought my HDD Cable off the net from; http://www.acerspareparts.eu

Package-Label-for-HDD-Cable.jpg

Acer Spare Parts is a trading brand of ER-Media LTD, based in Northern Ireland;

70-72 Scarva Street

Banbridge

BT32 3AD

Tel: 028406 69640

E-Mail: info@acerspareparts.co.uk

All the best, I hope this of some help…

Eadred

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You have a SATA M.2 slot I guess, if you open the service hatch, there should be a slot in between RAM and the HDD.

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

Hi brummyfan2, I'm in Kiddy!
    Think I may have solved my problem, with Acer's HDD Cable, Price £9.60 inc vat
    Suitable for models: Aspire E5-475 Series, Aspire E5-475G Series, TravelMate P249-M Series
    But am I right that my 128GB SSD is already located in the SATA M.2 slot?
    The connection point I mentioned, labeled 'B' does seem to fit the bill for one of those blue slide-in cables.

What do you think?
    I am also still waiting for an answer from support!!! (see below)
    Thanks for your interest though, brummy mate.
    I really would appreciate any help...
    Eadred

Sent to Support...
    I VERY recently purchased (from you) Aspire E 14 E5-475 with a 2nd HDD bay, which has NO Sata connector!
    I DON'T want to use a DVD caddy, I wish to fit my own optical CD/DVD drive.
    I find it truly unbelievable that I’ve bought a machine with ONLY the 128GB SSD BOOT DRIVE, clearly intended to be used with a second HDD!
    Please can you tell me - is there a Sata adapter I can buy?
    If this is not the case, how come the Aspire E 14 E5-475G does have a second HDD drive fitted?

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi Eadred,

You got it right mate,nice work. That's the cable you need, you also have 128GB SSD installed. I didn't expect E5 models with a SSD, good luck and enjoy this nice laptop.

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

Cheers Mate,

Thanks for YOUR support!

Eadred

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

Think I was a bit over optimistic about the Aspire E5-475 Series HDD Cable.

I sent off my request to http://www.acerspareparts.eu/product/33617/Acer-HDD-Cable/ cost £15.60 over a week ago and quickly received my Acer Spare Parts - Order Receipt. In quick succession I was put on BACK ORDER!

I tried a number of other suppliers, Amazon,PCWorld Partmaster, etc., but no go!

I don't suppose you would have any idea where I may get the Aspire E5-475 Series HDD Cable (other than AcerSpares, Ireland)?

Thanks for all your hekp Brummy.

Cheers mate,

All the best...

Eadred

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

I hear this morning, finally the Aspire E14 E5-475 HDD Cable is in the mail and on it's way.

I will update this message with the outcome - hopefully a successful one...

Eadred Smiley Happy

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

Hi brummyfan2, Success!

Re: Aspire E5-475 has 2nd HDD bay + NO sata connector - DON'T want DVD caddy, is there a Sata adaptor (3 weeks ago).  Just to pass on info to you and others…

For my Aspire E 14 E5-475 NX.GCUEK.OO1

The connector we spotted was http://www.acerspareparts.eu/product/33617/Acer-HDD-Cable/

(NOTE: INCLUED the final slash "Acer-HDD-Cable/" otherwise not found).

The HDD Cable is intended for any of the Series; Aspire E5-475, Aspire E5-475G, or TravelMate P249-M.  Cost Price €13.44 inc vat (£15.60 UK)

I received the cable yesterday, having been on backorder for a while.  The connector fitted perfectly into the slot ‘B’ we discussed.  I had to bodge a caddy, but no probs.  I notice though there’s a Hard Drive Caddy available, which possibly could be suitable for the E5-475 (see Knowledge Base).

I have to be honest I never intended to fit an optical drive, but it was extremely difficult to fit the first HDD/Caddy into the cd/dvd slot.  However, I now have two internal Seagate 1TB 2.5 inch Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drives. This last drive I intend to dedicate to editing and processing video work.  I may add another 8GB of DD4 since I have a spare slot, but that will have to wait till after Christmas.

One last question: Is it possible to delete a previous post, since I’m a bit ashamed about my outburst concerning not getting replies, etc?

All the best, thanks for all your help…

Eadred (happy bunny) Smiley Happy

• myleez0
    myleez0 Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

any picture with it(HDD connector)?

becuase i also need to buy it

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Hi myleez0,

I originally found the cable shown simply as HDD Cable, but ultimately was taken to the Acer Spare Parts site, where it was listed as suitable for Series; Aspire E5-475, Aspire E5-475G, or TravelMate P249-M. Cost Price €13.44 inc vat (£15.60 UK).  I have now fitted the cable into my Aspire E 14 E5-475 NX.GCUEK.OO1

I’m not prepared to remove the cable to photograph it since it’s a fiddly job to get the right-angled connector into Slot ‘B’. Understandably, now it’s in I don’t want to ever move it again. What appears to be grey-black tape, is protection covering the cable end, below that you can see a narrow strip of dark-black tape. This is actually a little tab, that allows the connector to be pulled out of Slot ‘B’. However, the connector has a built-in spring clip, so I don’t think the dark-black tape pull would survive much usage!  From the slot connector you can see a white label above it. This is stuck onto the round cable, just seen snaking round in the top right corner. This cable connects to the actual Sata Connector, which is of course pushed onto the end of my HDD.

Originally I didn’t use the insulation tape and it was ok, but I later thought better safe than sorry. There is also a singly strip only covering the flat USB 2 cable, which runs right across the bay. It seems ok, and there’s no sign of any overheating.

There’s not a great deal of room in the bay and the drive fits in quite snugly and doesn’t move about. However, there is of course a small overhang of the casing at the top of the drive. I used this to advantage by inserting a small strip of foam packing (not too much), which gently traps the drive in place. The foam can just be seen peeping out in the top right corner, and below the two top notches.

HDD-Bay-E5-475.jpg 

This is the label from the delivery pack, I don’t know if the numbers will be useful. I bought my HDD Cable off the net from; http://www.acerspareparts.eu

70-72 Scarva Street

Banbridge

BT32 3AD

Eadred

• brummyfan2
    Options

Eadred wrote:

Hi myleez0,

HDD-Bay-E5-475.jpg 

70-72 Scarva Street

Banbridge

BT32 3AD

Eadred

Hi Eadred,

Glad to hear your success, well done mate, thanks for posting your very helpful solutionSmiley Very Happy

Happy New Year.

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

Hi brummyfan2,

Thanks for all your support brummy mate.

Do you know if it's possible to delete a post once it's up and on view?

Cheers...

Eadred

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Eadred wrote:

Hi brummyfan2,

Thanks for all your support brummy mate.

Do you know if it's possible to delete a post once it's up and on view?

Cheers...

Eadred

HI Eadred, you can send me (or any moderator) a PM with information on any particular post your worried about.  Just click on my name to go to my profile page and then on the right hand side will be a link "send a private message".  Follow that and send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out!

• myleez0
    myleez0 Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

thanks a lot

P.S i am in asia so i need to find where buy it

• Eadred

Tinkerer

Options

No Problem Smiley Happy

Can't help with an address in Asia I'm afraid Smiley Frustrated

Eadred