Can you add HDD to ATC-780A-UR11 or to ATC-780-AMZi5?

Options
jmcyang
jmcyang Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Can you add an HDD to either the Aspire TC ATC-780A-UR11, or the Aspire TC ATC-780-AMZi5? (Are there available SATA data & power connectors, as well as an available 3.5" bay, in either of them?)

Don't know if these two models are the same other than HDD size (I've been really confused with the Acer model number variations).

Many thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi jmcyang,

Only two SATA sockets:

• One for the DVD drive
    • One for the HDD
    • No HDD bay available
    • As I already wrote, there is one M.2 2280 slot available.

My opinion:

I think the ATC-780A version is for Windows 10 Anniversary. Don't forget Acer must also manage the recovery media so the model number so the serial number.

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi jmcyang,

Only two SATA sockets:

• One for the DVD drive
    • One for the HDD
    • No HDD bay available
    • As I already wrote, there is one M.2 2280 slot available.

My opinion:

I think the ATC-780A version is for Windows 10 Anniversary. Don't forget Acer must also manage the recovery media so the model number so the serial number.

France
  • jmcyang
    Options

Thanks brummyfan2. I haven't been good about searching this forum -- somehow it slipped my mind to do so consistently other than through Google -- but that thread is really good (in addition to IronFly's answer about SSD's, it also has information about SATA ports).

• jmcyang
    Options

Thanks again for your help laurent_14. I read conflicting information about similar models and it's confusing what each model is, so your post is pretty definitive... thanks for clarifying it.

Thanks for the insight on what the "A" in the model number means too. I had been wondering if it was a hardware difference that was creating another category in the models (which again was kind of confusing), but this makes sense and I think clears it up a bit.

• brummyfan2
    Options

jmcyang wrote:

Thanks brummyfan2. I haven't been good about searching this forum -- somehow it slipped my mind to do so consistently other than through Google -- but that thread is really good (in addition to IronFly's answer about SSD's, it also has information about SATA ports).

You are welcomeSmiley Happy

• disc391
    disc391 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Not sure if anything has changed since the last post but I got my unit in this week and it looks like there is a second HDD bay below the current one.  Couldn't you add a second HDD if you upgrate the power supply and change out the cable to allow for a second HDD in series?  I'm kind of new to modifying computers so I thought it might be better to run this by the forum first.

side note:  I added a video card myself.  That was not standard in the system.

InkedIMG_1332_LI.jpg

• michelm
    michelm Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    For myself I have a Tc-780 and use the yellow socket on MB to plug a USB3 wire. After I add a USB to SATA connector. And plug a HDD from a laptop and it is working very good. All from ebay for $10.00 US
  • michelm
    Options
    Forgot to say HDD is free on the case. No screw. Just put it in a good place away from the fan
  • michelm
    Options
    Have a spear USB3 wire to plug in yellow socket of MB, and USB to sata adapter.
    Sell them for $10.00 plus postage. I am in Canada.
  • dwgsp
    dwgsp Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    My TC-780 came with an SSD instead of an HDD, so I want to add an HDD for storage.  The problem is that I am not sure which mounting screws to purchase.  The photo in disc391's message (above) shows the location of the mounting screws.  I assume that I need #6x32 screws, but I am not sure how long the need to be since the mounting holes have rummer grommets.  Any ideas?  Thank you!
  • notdeadyet
    notdeadyet Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    michelm said:

michelm said:
    I haven't figured out how to send a PM yet here, but if YOU can, PM me and I'll take them!
  • notdeadyet
    notdeadyet Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    also, what is the yellow connector for otherwise? and what is the id/model number of this motherboard?  Sorry for my ignorance, but I just got this today and am trying to figure a few other things out besides adding another Hard Drive. Thanks!