Acer Alpha Switch 12, orange light, not powering up

Options
ajustice83
ajustice83 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

My Acer Alpha Switch 12 went into sleep mode, and nothing I can do will power it on. the power button has an orange light, so the battery is still working. I just can't get it to force shut down or turn on.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

Try unplugging the AC adapter and holding the power button down for about 30 seconds. This is a power reset and should bring it back up. If not and it still will not power on when using AC power, we recommend the system be checked by our repair depot. For assistance please contact Acer support from info posted at:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• ajustice83
    ajustice83 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello everyone. Thanks for the tip. IIt is actually working now. I placed a repair order, but before I could mail it, it powered back on.

I actually had to wait for the battery to die 100%. Then, for some reason, it charged and powered on. Typing on it now. The website has instructions for removing the battery on the laptop if this happens, but the tablet battery cannot be removed.

So, that was the fix really. Battery dies out, recharged, and now working, and the problem hasn't repeated.

• abhi_123
    abhi_123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I am facing the same issue on my Acer switch alpha 12. It doesn't wake up from sleep. 
    After consulting the local Acer authorised service centre in Bangalore, they say it's a motherboard issue and needs to be replaced. 
    Whereas in some posts I read it's a microsoft issue.

Can someone pls help me regarding this issue and how it could be resolved?

It's just 2 months I purchased it from Malaysia and I am on Intl. Traveller's warranty which, unfortunately, I wouldn't be applicable as I am Indian citizen and not Malaysian. Now I dont know whether I have to shell out extra 20k+ bucks to replace the motherboard or wait for another resolution Smiley Sad

• asadasif2003
    asadasif2003 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    Hi, i am having the same issue. Acer alpha switch 12 has orange / amber light on and not powering down or starting. can you pls tell me how much times does it take to drain the battery in this state.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Have you tried the suggestion from Acer-Mary? The long press on the power button forces a power off, even when sleep mode is hung.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asadasif2003
    asadasif2003 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Have you tried the suggestion from Acer-Mary? The long press on the power button forces a power off, even when sleep mode is hung.

Yes, i did try that. Holding power button down for 30 / 60 seconds and power + volume buttons. Also tried discharging the laptop via usb port by charging mobile n using external hdd but nothing works. It is in same state since last 2 days.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    So unfortunately that points to an actual hardware problem. If you leave it plugged in long enough does the power LED switch to the blue fully charged state? It could be a problem with the charger, but I think more likely it's the battery. I had to replace the battery on mine at the three year point, but it's seen quite a bit of abuse (it was in my car with me through a head on collision).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.