V5-122p not supported ??

Options
Bigmitts
Bigmitts Member Posts: 12 New User

I see that my Apire V5-122p is supported for Windows 10 but is not supported for Windows 10 Aniversary update.

What does this mean?

Im already having driver problems and have had to stop Windows Update from upgrading my graphics driver.

Answers

• Bigmitts
    Options

No V5 Notebooks are on this list

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/windows10-update

• Bigmitts
    Options

After the last lot of updates it crashed again and I have tried to reinstall Windows 10 using the recovery system but after it reinstalled ? windows its stuck on the boot screen and wont go any further.

It looks like this could be a expensive repair but if its not supported any longer is that worthwhile.

• Jlicharson
    Jlicharson Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

I have spent the last week and a half trying to get my V5-122P to work under W10 Aniversary, with no/no luck.

After literally hours on the phone with Microsoft technicians, a senior tech there finally showed me (ater wandering about my computer for a while) that Acer did not have drivers for W10, only W8 and W8.1. 

He explained that while previous updates of W10 would work on the W8x drivers, the Anniversary edition required

specific W10 drivers for the sytem to work properly.

Thus, I understood why the computer all of a sudden slowed to near freeze-screen.

I called Acer support about W10 drivers and their service provider (something called AnswersBy) said that a fully functional update was available through their technicians.  But it cost $99.95 because my computer was out of warranty.

Now these guys have been working remotely on my computer on and of for the last 18 hours and still don't have W8.1 reinstalled. 

Long and the short of it:

(a) Don't let your V5 update W10 to the Anniverrsary update.

(b) Don't try to get support from Acer unless you are prepared to pay up front.

(c) Even then, don't proceed with any expectation that you will have a proper functioning W10 computer in any reasonable amount of time.

• Jlicharson
    Options
    Another 8 hours spent by the computer. Acer/AnswerBy techs have been playing with it all day and about two hours ago said "OK, it is now upgrading to W10 and sll will be fine". Or words to that effect.

All I have seen for the last hour and a half is a black screen with "Acer/explore beyond limitsTM" on it.

No keyboard control. No mouse control.

I've given up for the day.

Unless Acer can come out with drivers for W10 Anniversary, this computer now appears to be an expensive bit of unusable metal.

I will call back the Acer techs tomorrow to let them try to get control.
  • Bigmitts
    Options

I have removed the AMD driver which has left it running on the "microsoft basic display adapter"  and have stopped windows update from reinstalling it.

This keeps the notebook running on windows 10 aniversary but only for basic tasks.

This forum

https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums

has more information about the problems with the V5 -122p and how to do the fix I have done .

• ronb62
    ronb62 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Have come to the exact same point. Having reinstalled windows 10 (anniversary edition) after much experimenting the anniversary edition does not work on this model with the Catalyst software.(Crimson or previous) anymore. A thread runs out of control making the CPU constantly run at 40% minimum. You lose usability completely. It can be made useable by disabling the video adapter but this destroys its capability for various tasks. Some apps also appear to send the CPU into lala land as well. The Catalyst software needs correcting for the antiversary edition.

• Bigmitts
    Options

Im now having problems with the notebook crashing when I touch the pad and have had to uninstall the driver for that.

Im waving the white flag and trying to put 8.1 back on using the media creation tool. I say trying but that is not going well. I think the disc needs to be reformatted first to get rid of all the windows 10 rubbish.

Not sure how to do that

• Jlicharson
    Options
    Another five hours with Acer/AnserBy techs on Sunday. Result is a computer stuck at the Acer opening screen.
    A return call by a 'Level 2 technician' sceduled for tonight (2/2!! Days later).

If anyone ever has the inclination to call Acer for technical support, my experience with them shouts out "AVOID". Lots of people working by rote scripts and troubleshooting flow charts, but no in depth knowledge of hardware or software.

That may change, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will see tonight.
  • Bigmitts
    Options

Im now back on 8.1 so will see how it goes

With Acer not supplying drivers for Windows 10 Anniversary and AMD supplying drivers which crash the notebook then it seems the only option.

Having to remove the driver for the touchpad was the last straw.

• Jlicharson
    Options

Acer/AnswerBy level 2 technician was supposed to call this evening.  They are "not available".  Now scheduled to call Wed., Nov. 23 11:00-13:00.

Now Five days of failed Acer service  and runaround from these guys.

• Jlicharson
    Options
    Well, Acer/AnswerBy did not call back as arranged on Tuesday.

They called instead, late this morning and after some poking around the computer, a resetting was begun.

Their level 2 technician then had better things to do while the reset wended its way through the process and said he would call back Thursday morning.

That finally finished at 18:30, just as I had to go out.

As I write this approaching midnight, my computer appears to have reset itself to Windows 8.0.

Great: Now it is back to where it was when we bought it two years ago.
  • ronb62
    Options

I have re-installed W10 (pre anniversary update version) and this still has the CPU running high non-stop. So Acer cannot blaim W10 Anniversary. Acers website states that the V5-122P model is windows 10 compliant- It clearly isn't. The machines autoupdated so ACER hold responsibility. Having also tried several versions of Catalyst graphics drivers with pre Windows anniversary update which all fail.  From people counts having this problem I can quickly see over 1000 with this issue. And that is only those who have identified the cause and sought solutions on forum. ACER need to fix this for their customers via a driver update if they want to retain any respect and future custom.

• Jlicharson
    Options
    In the end, the Acer/AnswerBy technicians were unable to make my V5-122P work at W10 Anniversary update. After five (count 'em!) days sitting by the computer and them trying everything they had, their senior tech admitted it could not be done.
    And they refunded the $99.99 service charge.

So as of today (2016-12-01) Acer does not have the drivers required to allow a V5-122P function in Windows 10 Anniversary update.

The only way, thus, to get a functioning computer is to go back to Windows 8.1. As to make sure you do not move to W10 unless and until W10 drivers are avaliable.

I is possible the company has some people working on this. Then agsin, it is possible they don't.

If the latter, that is unconscionable for a two year old computer.

I have two other Acers (not V5's) working in W10Ann, but if Acer leaves the community high and dry on this, we won't be buying them any more.
  • Bigmitts
    Options

If I can get my 122p working fine now on Windows 10 Aniversary then it shows how poor Acer technicians are.

• Bigmitts
    Options

If I can get my V5-122p working fine now on Windows 10 Anniversary then it shows how poor Acer technicians are

• ronb62
    Options

This is clearly ACER's responsibility. I have contacted AMD who say "as ACER is the manufacturer of the device containing the chip it is their (ACERS) responsibility to provide specific drivers to make the device work" The drivers (catalyst software) do not work with Windows 10 even pre anniversary versions of Windows 10. (I have just tried that) and no version of drivers supplied by ACER work that I have tried.

we all need to contact acer direct and maybe they will do something. I tried the online support but all I got was offers to sell me discs or to keep watching ACERS web-site (a total brush-off).

I have contacted their escalations department and a senior director. This has gone on for many months and is totally unacceptable.

We wait and see!

• Bigmitts
    Options

Im typing this on my 122p and its working fine which im pleased to say.

Im using the AMD driver version 15.7 .1  which is working well so it does work ok on that driver.

You have to stop Windows Update from installing  16.9 .and also clean the disc of that driver as well.

Also twice when I thought I was installing 15.7 I landed up installing 16.9 so If you think that a earlier driver does not work check to see what has actually been installed.

• Jlicharson
    Options
    Ok. I do believe you.

Unfortunately, nothing you have done has worked on mine.

A work around like the one you have developed for yourself may be fine. And I do applaud that.

But in the end, and the beginning for that matter, it is an Acer responsibility to owners to make the hardware and firmware on its computers work properly.
    And to produce fixes that work quickly and reasonably easily when a problem occurs.

This is not the case with the V5-122P.
  • Bigmitts
    Options

I do feel deserted by Acer because they have not provided a compatible driver. When clicking on a dropdown menu

on there site the V5 is not even listed .

But even if they had Microsoft would still want to update that driver to 16.9 and crash the notebook.

Lastly AMD are providing the same driver which crashes the notebook as well.

Its a mess!!