Acer Aspire V5-122P BSOD's

Options
2»

Answers

• Jlicharson
    Jlicharson Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

After the W10 Anniversary updates were done on my V5, the whole thing slowed down to the proverbial snail's pace.

So I took the computer back to W8 and then with Microsoft technicians then spent a total of over 14 hours trying to get the upgrade/update to W10 to work. Unsuccessfully.

A Microsoft senior technician got back to me on the phone (a really pleasant surprise!! It is good to be able to say something nice about Microsoft) and after wandering about my computer took me to the Acer page for the computer and showed me that there were no W10 drivers available from Acer for the computer.

So, I called Acer suppport mainly to ask if drivers would become available and when.

I got transfered to something called AnswersBy Support which appears to be Acer's support department.

After I asked about drivers, the person assured me that he could fix the problem.  I was not so sure and after a half an hour on the phone - including, specifically, showing the person the web page that indicated W10 drivers were not available - I was again assured that they could install W10 Anniversary properly on my computer. 

If I paid the $99.95 support service charge because the computer is now out of warranty.  So I did.

After that, I was transferred to a technician who informed me that whie he could help with installing W10, it might not work properly because W10 drivers were not available for my computer.

So here I am, sitting waiting for the upgrade download to take place to see if it works or not.

I am fit to be tied:  Induced to pay for a service package that may not work!!

• tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options

That is not good, and doesn't really paint anyone in a good light, but thankyou for sharing.  Unfortunately, this worked for a bit, then Windows decided to update itself and the AMD driver managed to install itself again! (despite me ticking the no driver update option.)  We're both getting ticked off with this, so, considering what he uses it for, I may take a risk and see if it works fine with a distro of Linux (which I have used every day for a while as my main OS on and AMD machine) or get a new laptop.

• juhakari
    juhakari Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I have described how I found the solution for this problem in another forum discussion:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/aspire-V5-122p-windows-10-upgrade/m-p/468273#M13553

In short: disable AMD audio device and update AMD driver to 2015 version.

br. Juha

• tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options

Thankyou.  I shall try that.  However, could you please provide a link to the driver you downloaded, as there are loads from 2015?